Monday 30 September 2013

Non-Fiction Book Review - 'Wicked: The Grimmerie' by David Cote, Stephen Schwartz, Joan Marcus, Winnie Holzman

Informative, colourful, pretty, brilliant. A bit dated for 2005, but that shouldn't matter in the least, not for any fan of 'Wicked'.

And I am a HUGE fan of 'Wicked'. I love the songs, the characters, the story, the set pieces. I love it as much as 'The Wizard of Oz', the movie. I went to see it with my family in London on my 21st birthday. Best day ever. 

Even children and adults who don't like Broadway shows love Wicked (including my dad), and it's not hard to see why. Its appeal is universal, because it contains universal themes - such as loneliness, friendship, dictatorship, corruption, love, and wanting to be accepted by everyone. And it looks awesome. It has true magical power.

I don't like to use the word "perfect" often, but I am sure Wicked is the perfect musical.

It's funny, because I am definitely NOT a fan of the original book by Gregory Maguire, even though I read it before I saw the stage show. It is my opinion that the musical FAR exceeds the book in almost every way - particularly with character motivations, explanations (something a prequel to an existing work should have), heart and passion, and just being a better structured story. The book was too soulless for me; that the musical fixes this further proves that it is a magical miracle. However I know that I can't really hate the original source material since the Broadway show wouldn't exist without it.

So back to 'The Grimmerie': it is a precious possession for any 'Wicked' fan. The section 'Fan Letters'  especially touched me, as it shows what a huge effect 'Wicked' has had on different people.

It will continue to have an impact throughout many generations.

'Wicked: The Grimmerie' - I prefer this book to Maguire's, I'm afraid. It is wonderful. It made me sentimental. It reminds me of why I love musicals. 

A great companion to a show that has changed people's lives for the good.

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment