Monday 30 September 2013

Non-Fiction Book Review - 'Avenue Q: The Book' by Zachary Pincus-Roth, Carol Rosegg (Photographer)

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



I adore 'Avenue Q', so naturally I enjoyed reading about what went on behind the scenes (I always want to know the behind-the-scenes of everything, but that's beside the point).

I saw the Broadway show for my performing arts course a few years ago. It's an ingenious adult take on Sesame Street, about the perils of growing up compared to how simple life was for everyone when they're a kid.

Political incorrectness has never looked less meanspirited. That's what I love about 'Avenue Q' - it's genuinely clever and hilarious, with a lot of heart thrown in with the "it's so true" sense of humour. The songs are really catchy as well, as performed by puppets!

The book is as colourful and funny as the characters in the show. My one gripe is the cover material. While it's a cute idea, it's so messy! I can't take it out of the plastic wrapping that came with it without the fur getting everywhere.

But the inside is informative and humorous. I could tell that everyone involved in the production of 'Avenue Q' had fun whilst putting it on Broadway for the first time.

It was a risk that paid off.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment