Thursday 26 September 2013

Book Review - 'Angel' by Cliff McNish

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



I've had this book for years. I remember getting it from a bookshop which is now closed down (*sob*). I also remember liking it very much and being surprised by how realistic some aspects of it are.

'Angel' (not such a generic title when I first came across it and its gorgeous cover) by Cliff McNish is the first YA angel novel I've read. And to this day the only one that is British. It is dark and well-written; having an ethereal atmosphere. It presents interesting interpretations on the angel mythos (e.g. invisible visitors on earth who are not sure if there is an afterlife, and an angel chorus = angels mourning the death of one of their own kind) while also including serious issues dealt with by young teenagers on their way to adulthood. These include prejudice, the challenges of faith and trust, the distance from parents, and friendship in its negative effects. Actions do have consequences here.

'Angel' could do with a sequel, as the major story arcs don't actually have a definite conclusion. For example, it is never revealed how or why the protagonist Freya is "half-angel". She just is.

Despite this, and the family-unfriendly Aesops, 'Angel' is an enjoyable YA angel book with an almost sweet Gothic beauty to it. It might not be for everyone, and maybe I do need to reread it now that I'm much more well-read. But I have good memories of it in my younger book-buying days.

Final Score: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment