Monday 2 September 2013

Book Review - 'Bindi Babes' by Narinder Dhami

2020 EDIT: 'Bindi Babes' is much sweeter and more touching - and even more intelligent - than I remember, upon rereading this nostalgic trip. A short and light read is what I need right now, and 'Bindi Babes' delivers; while offering important messages on tolerance, empathy, understanding, love, and dealing with grief. A great gem for everyone, not just kids.

Dedicated to the memory of my Grandma, who had my copy signed by the author. Rest in Peace. I love you, and you are missed.

Final Score: 4/5





Original Review:



'Meet Amber, Jazz and Geena, the coolest chicks on the block.'

Narinder Dhami signed my copy of this book years ago, for my grandmother who originally owned it.

This is fun book that I'd read during my days at school. 'Bindi Babes' is about three Indian-British sisters who are model students. But then their auntie comes to stay and intrudes on their comfortable lives, and cramps their style. They band together to find ways of getting rid of her, even if it means - gulp - behaving badly at school and getting into trouble!

Told from the POV of Amber, the middle sister, much of what happens to the girls - particularly in school - I could relate to. They are young, spoilt and selfish despite being seen as good girls outside of their home. But they learn valuable lessons by the end of the book.

'Bindi Babes' is a bit cliche now that I remember it, with a few dated pop culture references, but it's still funny with memorable scenarios and likeable, human characters. A realistic depiction of English tact, friendship and family importance.

Overall, good middle school entertainment.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment