Monday, 23 September 2013

Manga Review - 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1' by Magica Quartet, Hanokage

2026 REREAD:

WELCOME TO OCTOBER MAGICA!


'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
'


Fresh off of September Moon, comes another month where I reread another popular magical girl manga series.

This time it's October Magica, where each day I will reread and rereview a manga volume based on the anime, 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica'.

'Madoka Magica', while more recent than the classic 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon', has no less become almost as synonymous with the magical girl genre as the latter franchise - the dominating cultural phenomenon across the globe. Considerably a "dark deconstruction" of magical girls, that is overall a darn great, intricately and solidly written Faustian story - and really a perfectly written, characterised and animated twelve-episode anime, as compact as they come - 'Madoka''s success and popularity in both Japan and the West are more than deserved. It has remained a beloved anime darling since its first airing in 2011.

The fact that I remember vividly when it came out, and when I first saw it online, fifteen years ago... time is scarier than any monster and existentialist theme.

That said, I have to wonder why the magical girl genre is still not respected and taken seriously in the mainstream pop culture sphere, compared to anime and other media aimed at "boys". Why is it still not talked about nearly as much - not even close - as other genres in anime and manga, like those in Shōnen Jump? Deep rooted, persistent misogyny, and the patriarchy's insecure and pathetic hatred of all things "girly" and "feminine", definitely come to mind...

'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' is a freaking goddess-send of an animated series, that everyone should watch, and it is one of my favourite anime, period; not only of the magical girl genre.

My way of celebrating 'Madoka Magica' in 2026, and, appropriately, in the witchy month of October, is to spend each day rereading and rereviewing a volume of the various manga adaptations and spinoffs I own - and only what I own; I haven't read every manga spinoff series, as I don't have the time, money, or inclination to.

I'll start with the very first manga adaptation, 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1'.

It is a slightly truncated retelling of the first four episodes of the original 2011 anime, that is no less exciting. Good thing I rewatched the anime earlier this year, so I can pinpoint the few scenes and character interactions that were either cut down or cut out entirely.

Kyubey is made to look too deceptively cute, with his big eyes and innocent, childlike expressions. In a way, I admire that; it adds to the unsettling "darkness-and-horror-and-moral-ambiguity under the cutesy surface" theme going on, and going down.

The art isn't that spectacular, especially in regards to Madoka and her facial expressions. She sometimes looks unemotional; something that is absolutely the antithesis of her character. Her helpful, hopeful, emotional character I love and relate to. A "magical girl" - a young human heroine to aspire to.

But the manga is fun, and thought-provoking, and that moment at the end of the third chapter is as gut-wrenching as ever. Speaking of, Mami also has her own darkly ironic comic pieces stamped at the beginning and end of the volume.

The harrowing, psychological, existentialist horror has barely gotten started...

Hitomi is shown as being far less homophobic (possibly internalised) than in the anime, as well. In fact, she might be supportive of Madoka and Sayaka's alleged yuri relationship. Even though it is a misunderstanding on her end, it is nice to see her like this.

Homura being referred to as "Speak of the devil!" on page 51... hindsight is golden.

Whatever differences from the anime are present, as the Afterword says, '[...] if you simply think of this as another form of "Madoka", then it'll make me happy.'

It'll make the readers - fans of the anime - happy, accepting, and satisfied, too.

'Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 1' - it's a beautiful, special, precious gem - a soul gem, with artistic passion. Just like the anime.

A favourite of mine. That hasn't changed.

Next up is 'Vol. 2'. Can't wait!

Happy October Magica!

Feel the witches' curses and wards, and the horrifying aura, and step into the dark.

But whatever you do, never, ever make a contract with Kyubey.

Final Score: 4.5/5





Original Review:



"I want you to contract with me... and become magical girls!"

"These wishes... do they absolutely have to be for yourself?"

"Do you truly want that person's dream to come true? Or is it that you want to be that person's savior for making that dream come true?"


I can't gush enough how much I adore this manga. I've watched and loved the anime beforehand, so I knew I had to read this adaptation.

'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' is my second favourite anime of all time (the first being 'Fruits Basket'). It is an exploration and deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. The twelve-episode series is adorable - with deceptively pretty art - yet very sad, harrowing and horrific. If you don't like 'Sailor Moon' or any other entries in the genre that followed it, 'Madoka Magica' is sure to surprise you by how dark it gets as the story goes on. It's not the pink and sparkles and the power of love that make the Magical Girl here. It's set in a world where the power of friendship doesn't always save you, where love can destroy you, and the enemy isn't obvious and whose source may be closer than you think.

The story of Madoka is a tragedy, with a silver lining of hope that makes it all the more beautiful. That and the wonderful and complex characters.

So how does the manga hold up in comparison? Based on the first volume alone, I think it does its job very well. It covers the first four episodes of the anime, and it doesn't miss out any important details and the artwork is great to look at. Though manga Kyubey is definitely drawn as being cuter than his anime counterpart.

The childlike innocence of the beginning of the story before the shocking end of the third chapter is indeed a shock, especially since you have gotten to know and already adore these characters whom you want to see safe and become triumphant.

And while Homura Akemi is and always has been my favourite character, I must say that Mami Tomoe is awesome in this. So kind yet so badass, while also occasionally letting her human vulnerability and loneliness show.

Of course, being the first volume, it doesn't quite get to its zenith level of how dark it can be. Not yet. Also I can't say whether or not the readers who have not seen the anime first will like the manga. I saw the anime first and I still love this, though I'm not sure if that's only because I already knew where 'Madoka Magica' was heading.

So don't be fooled by the Magical Girl cuteness, as like Madoka's concept of a Magical Girl, there is more to the contract than appearances suggest.

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment