Monday 28 October 2013

Book Review - 'The Complete Tales' by Beatrix Potter

2021 EDIT: A reread; and these are still charming and beautifully illustrated little fairy tales, that feature cute, sentient talking animals in sweet and funny situations.

The animals often have dangerous adventures, too. A few of Miss Potter's tales are even nightmarish! 'Jemima Puddle-duck' is very sad, and I don't even want to think about the implications of the last page of 'The Flopsy Bunnies'. 'Pigling Bland' is very open-ended. They're not as innocent as I remember!

I'd also forgotten that Miss Potter would occasionally insert herself into some of these tales.

My favourites include 'Peter Rabbit', 'Benjamin Bunny', 'Two Bad Mice', 'Mrs Tiggy-Winkle', and 'Mrs Tittlemouse'.

Beatrix Potter's works are a very old family treasure of mine, and I intend to keep them. Childhood classics.

Final Score: 4/5





Original Review:



Lovely little tales from my early childhood. I still own eleven of them, in fact. That's saying something, because I don't keep a lot of the books I have on my shelves, especially if they are from my younger reading days. Beatrix Potter's Tales fill me with such sweet nostalgia, I can't give them away. They may have even shaped my love of animals.

All of them are favourites of mine; charming and funny, and timeless classics to read to children.

I bless the undoubted passion and talents that Beatrix Potter had.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment