Monday 21 October 2013

Book Review - 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Roald Dahl

A world of pure imagination indeed. A colourful, delightful. funny and mischievous children's book by one of the most creative, quirky and heartfelt authors who ever lived.

Sweet in more ways than one. 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is as addictive as chocolate, and great for getting kids to read, alongside the 'Harry Potter' books (I mean, what kid doesn't dream of visiting a chocolate factory, magical or not?). Full of memorable characters (I adore Willy Wonka, Charlie and his grandparents), bizarre situations, songs and inventive candy - with nutritious substance. It's whack-doodle and I love it. Quentin Blake's illustrations also contribute to a wonderful nostalgia.

Throughout the story there are good morals to teach children, such as: appreciate what you have - for love is priceless; being kind and generous has its rewards; creativity in a person is fantastic; and happiness and satisfaction cannot come from overconsumption (not from any kind of greed and overindulgence, and not just from food and money, but television watching as well). I think selflessness is the one word that sums up the morals of 'Charlie'.

I should get my hands on another copy - my last one was a school one - and relive the memories of this magical little book, and remember details I've perhaps forgotten.

Nothing else to write about really. Just bless Roald Dahl.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment