Thursday 24 October 2013

Book Review - 'The BFG' by Roald Dahl

Another Roald Dahl book I remember picking up at my school library. And that I now own and keep on my bookshelf.

Such a fun, colourful, imaginative and sweet story! with a dark edge to it. It is by Roald Dahl so I expected nothing less. 'The BFG' is intelligent too; Mr Dahl respected his audience of children. It even makes farting seem charming! What fun explosions!

Young, bespectacled, sweet, inquisitive and resilient Sophie is an orphan girl the reader can connect to in a world - a country - of giants. One giant has big ears and a big heart (the title character himself), and the other nine are much bigger, and are hideous (of course, they are the baddies) and they eat people. Giants call human beings, "human beans". Their use of the English language is far more hilarious and creative than that.

The BFG - Big Friendly Giant - wants to capture and give happy dreams to children, not gobble them up.

To keep myself from giving away spoilers, I'll end this review short. 'The BFG' - another great and magical one-day read by an author whose reputation is well deserved amongst the works of children's literature.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment