Wednesday 25 November 2020

Graphic Novel Review - 'Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift' by Meredith Gran (Writer), Carey Pietsch (Artist)

2022 EDIT: Well I've watched the entirety of the 'Adventure Time' cartoon. It's great. It's revolutionary. But for some reason my interest in the comics has waned, much like how I'm no longer as much interested in quite a few other comic series, book series, and single books in my bookshelf clear-out. It seems I've just forgotten about them, or have become indifferent to them, and I have no overwhelming passion and desire to reread them. I've always been particularly picky and fussy with what I read and own, anyhow. Making more room, less clutter. And maybe 'Adventure Time' works best for a medium like TV.

Farewell, 'Adventure Time' comics.

Still adore Marceline.





Original Review:



My first 'Adventure Time' comic, and of the seven I've read, this one is my favourite.

As well as being very funny and charming, 'Marceline Gone Adrift' is incredibly heartwarming, clever, and is all around a beautiful story. It has a bit of everything: girl power, space, space suits, spaceships, space bubbles, other planets, leaf aliens, dog aliens, insecure food monsters, music playing, music thievery, existentialism, and of course, the developing, blossoming LBGTQ relationship between Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum of the Candy Kingdom, and the vampire queen and musician Marceline! Their bond isn't merely cute, it literally transcends cosmology. So complicated and real for supposed silly cartoon characters - from a dystopian earth called Ooo.

Really, Bubblegum and Marceline are enough to make me want to read 'Adventure Time' comics, and watch the show in full - it's been too many years since I first saw it in bits and pieces on Cartoon Network - which I will, soon. I won't miss THAT modern cartoon pop culture phenomenon.

'Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift' - a wonderful gift for fans and nonfans alike. It is colourful, pop candy, star-stunning, hilarious, touching, mesmerising, lesbian cartoon goodness for all ages!

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment