Monday 11 February 2019

Guess I'll update on my film watching:

One film in particular that I've been putting off seeing until now is The Breadwinner. I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't give it a chance when it first came out on DVD, because it is brilliant. I didn't think much of Cartoon Saloon's other films, but three times the charm here. Harrowing, sad, sweet, non-clichΓ©, and beautiful, 'The Breadwinner' is an instant landmark. Like 'Persepolis' set in Afghanistan, but more centered on childhood. I cannot stress enough its focus on female relationships (family and friendship), and how important this is. Add in the fact that it has a female director, and female writers. It is genuinely feminist. Animation can do so much, and this is being realised and achieved more fully now.

Containing nearly all of my favourite things, The Breadwinner comes recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment