Friday 30 August 2024

Book Review - 'W.I.T.C.H. Annual 2008'

First the 2007 annual, now the long forgotten 2008 annual. Long overdue for a review.

'W.I.T.C.H. Annual 2008' is much like the previous annual, with quizzes, games, info, horoscopes, comics and absolutely beautiful artwork. (And they're both British publications, to coincide with the W.I.T.C.H. newsagent magazines at the time - it happens, and I'm glad this licenced property did!).

Here there's a continuing-in-parts, Christmas-themed comic with the W.I.T.C.H. girls, and it's weird, random, nonsensical, and barely has anything to do with the 'W.I.T.C.H.' universe or Christmas. But at least the art is gorgeous. And the girls always have such nice clothes!

The annual is a product of its time in one obvious sense (besides the heteronormality): there's the implication that only skinny girls can be pretty, attractive, happy and confident.

There is reused art from the previous volume, too.

But regardless, it is a nice, soft, sparkly, colourful little gem of an annual for me. It really took me back to how it felt to be a young girl again, happy to escape into this girly, happy, exciting fantasy, with no worries or anxieties, and where good always wins in the end.

W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club are my 2000s nostalgic, European magical girl babies, and I will defend them forever.

Link to my 'W.I.T.C.H. Annual 2007' review here.

Better yet, link to my entire W.I.T.C.H. review collection on Goodreads here.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment