Saturday 18 December 2021

Book Review - 'W.I.T.C.H. Annual 2007'

2024 EDIT: I now own this, and have read it again and again. A pure nostalgic, magical girl power hidden gem. I love the art and creativity. And I love W.I.T.C.H.

Final Score: 4/5





Original Review [written in 2014]:



Not really a book or a story, and I have never reviewed an annual before and most likely never will again. But no one else has written a review of this yet, and I had it when I was younger, so why not talk a bit about it?

Ahh 2006; when I obsessed over astrology and star signs and yet still somehow managed to spell Cancer with an S. A nostalgic gem of an annual, featuring: quizzes, comic strips, and great art and colouring. Above all it felt like it coincided with the W.I.T.C.H. universe as the original Italian comics intended. Overtly feminine and sappy, yes. But friendship, compassion, understanding and helpfulness are important growing-up aspects for children of all genders and backgrounds to learn. None of it felt shallow, because, like in the comics, the girls' bond seemed genuine. Their friendship and teamwork dynamics, despite differences in personalities, felt real - and which had nothing to do with magical powers. Girl power cartoon stuff might offer good life lessons after all, and deserve some recognition and respect.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment