Sunday 11 August 2024

Manga Review - 'Bibi & Miyu, Volume 1' by Olivia Vieweg (Writer), Hirara Natsume (Artist), Susanne C. Stephan (Editor)

'Bibi & Miyu'



Just... what is this?

Why does this exist?

How does it exist?

What are you up to with this project, TOKYOPOP?

More importantly, why did I buy it?

Most importantly, why did I like it?



Rarely have I ever encountered such a bizarre, random product that nonetheless suits a lot of my tastes. The American/German/Japanese manga 'Bibi & Miyu, Volume 1' is pink, it's about witches, it's about magic little girls and friendship, it has cherry blossoms and a flying pink fox/kitsune. It's so sweet and cute and adorable it's like diving in strawberry yogurt in Japan. As well as cherry blossoms, it literally has raining cakes and sweets at one point!

But this in no way distracts me from its obvious flaws. Its pacing is rushed and all over the place. None of the characters are developed very well, with anyone who is not Bibi and Miyu suffering the most (Bibi and Miyu do have their overt and subtle moments, and moments to shine, though). The manga begins with character bios, including ones for Bibi's friends Moni, Marita and Johnathan... who are not actually in the manga. At least, they appear in a few panels, but that's it. Not once do they interact with Bibi. If it weren't for the bios, you'd start off thinking Bibi has no friends at school, that she's a lonely, bored witch girl.

Even with all the fantasy elements and kiddie witchery and yōkai hunting, 'Bibi & Miyu' seems to only exist to showcase to young children both German's and Japan's cultures - mostly Japan as the majority of the manga takes place there. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but it could have had more depth, and been integrated into what little story there is. Also there's no mention of language barriers.

Still, the friendship between Bibi and Miyu is nice and sweet, as rushed as it is. I wouldn't say it is blossoming so much as it is like a shooting beanstalk. A shooting star. On a broomstick. Powered by a comet. I mean, Bibi declares she wants to go to Japan with Miyu the first day they meet! And she does!

I guess I'll end my review of this weird and flaky yet cute and endearing kids' manga with a bit of trivia: The character of Bibi Blocksberg is apparently a popular IP in Germany. She has her own radio play series, live action movies, and an animated series, that's free to watch on YouTube. I had literally never heard of her until over a week ago, when I discovered 'Bibi & Miyu, Volume 1' on Goodreads and looked into it. Which(witch!) is shocking to me, as I'm always searching to devour any witch media there is. Not much about Bibi Blocksberg is available in English, as far as I can tell. From what I can gather, it seems to me she's German's answer to Sabrina the Teenage Witch. She's like Pipi Longstocking as a witch. And she's like a blonde and green-dressed 'Kiki's Delivery Service'. Japanese exchange student Miyu, from a yōkai hunting family, with the flying pink fox named Wasabi, is an original cross-promotion character.

Anyway, 'Bibi & Miyu, Volume 1' - it's cute stuff! It conjures up nostalgic feelings - misty auras from long ago - of watching Saturday morning cartoons. It reminded me of when I watched anime like 'Sailor Moon', and shows like 'Winx Club', on early mornings, even on schooldays.

International witchy friendship is magic and fun!

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment