Thursday 28 December 2017

Graphic Novel (Webcomic Special) Review - 'Heartstopper' by Alice Oseman

NICK AND CHARLIE IS LIFE!!!



THIS WEBCOMIC



THIS WEBCOMIC



... is too good and pure for this world.



I have not read any of Alice Oseman's other works. I didn't even know that 'Heartstopper' is basically a prequel to her YA novels starring the same characters before I read it. 

But care I do not. No other reading requirement is necessary to enjoy and bask in this... LBGTQ beauty. In darkness there is always light, in the form of an unlikely friendship, growing into something special, something more. 

Something truly spectacular.

I don't normally read webcomics, but I had less than an hour to kill online and... I smiled, I laughed, I squealed, I got goosebumps, I got teary-eyed, I was holding out, holding my breath; I was full of sunshine the more I read 'Heartstopper'. In such a brief amount of time I forgot that there was anything bad in the world - how there could be anything bad happening, for humanity can be full of love and kindness. 'Heartstopper' proved that. That it is British made me feel even prouder.

That 'Harry Potter' chapter... when I thought it couldn't get any cuter! I may actually love fanfiction now!

I really, really hope this gets published in paperback in the future. 'Heartstopper' isn't finished yet, but right now to me it is perfect. Somewhere out there, on the internet, this exists: A developing, beyond adorable love story between two secondary school boys - Charlie, openly gay and talented but very shy and insecure, and Nick, a popular, friendly jock with a heart of unblemished gold just discovering he may be bisexual - is what is needed to restore faith. To believe in love again.

Warm, honest, genuine, refreshing, geeky, non-cliche and non-BS, it is nothing short of breathtaking. Do yourself a favour today and check it out for free. 

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment