Saturday 13 February 2016

Book Review - 'The Man' by Raymond Briggs

I used to listen to this on cassette (wow do I feel old now) when I was little. 

'The Man' by Raymond Briggs is a unique, bittersweet story about the relationship between a growing boy and a short-tempered, funny man small enough to live in a drawer. Friendship and its needs are tested. 

This picture book is the best kind of dialogue-heavy, because the character's voices are distinct, expressive and (nearly) always clashing. Sad ending, too - now that I think about it, it shows that it's okay for males to cry and express their feelings. 

The boy John's mum shows up occasionally for her voice to be heard in a situation she’s being kept in the dark about. 

Murky, strange yet poignant. ‘The Man’ was not one of my favourites growing up (too much of a boy's story, I thought), but it sticks with you. Sometimes the littlest things can open up big waves of emotion in you.

Final Score: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment