A graphic novel adaptation of Shannon Hale's 'Princess Academy', created twenty one years after the OG novel's publication, is certainly not something I expected, nor really needed. But I couldn't resist, I just had to check it out, since I love the novel.
'Princess Academy: The Graphic Novel' is as much a lovely, dramatic, humorous, cosy, clever and human fairy tale as its source material; insofar as I can remember, anyway, my last read was years ago. But I can tell it is a loving and faithful adaptation.
There are only a few noticeable updated details added, such as one side character and Princess Academy attendee, Frid, now refusing to wear a dress to a ball - she likes to wear pants - and there's Gerti, whose running gag is she keeps saying she's only twelve-years-old, thus highlighting the absurdity and creepiness of her being asked to attend an academy built specifically to teach girls how to catch and marry a prince (though are the other girls still fourteen-years-old...?). These changes don't hurt or hinder the story at all.
The artwork by Victoria Ying suits the tale and characters wonderfully. This is such a colourful, wondrous, understated yet directly challenging children's graphic novel. And it is so breezy - there is no narration present whatsoever, letting the artwork and events speak for themselves. The mountainfolk chanting and song lyrics floating around on page occasionally, such as the beginning of each chapter, could count as narration, and they set the mood and atmosphere of the characters' situations.
The family and female friendship and companionship themes are absolutely touching. There is disability rep, and class and caste commentary and critique.
Miri the mountain girl, the protagonist of 'Princess Academy', and one of the potential princesses at the academy, is as brilliant as she's always been. A charming, funny, brave, observant, wilful, determined, loyal and selfless lass with a heart of gold - a heart full of mountain and quarry songs, that is worth far more than any jewel on any tiara. Young, naïve and inexperienced Miri grows and develops out of her flaws over the course of her story. Strong in heart, mind and spirit, she is magical, without having to actually be overtly magical, in this fantasy tale.
My main criticisms of 'Princess Academy: The Graphic Novel' are similar to my criticisms of the OG book. Although it has been ages since I read 'Princess Academy' - are its flaws in fact as prominent as they are in the graphic novel adaptation?
For example, I already knew that Miri's love interest, Peder, is an annoying, possessive Nice GuyTM, but was he always as entitled, selfish, self-centred and shockingly horrible, with seriously messed up priorities, as he's portrayed here? He never apologises to Miri for the accusatory things he says to her during an argument that he started unprovoked; things that are totally unfounded, imagined, not real, and are no doubt born out of his own insecurities and entitlement issues, which he projects unfairly onto Miri. Granted, Miri doesn't apologise either, which is good because the purehearted heroine did nothing wrong, but it is odd for neither of them to ever mention the fight that caused a rift between them after the fact (it is Peder's fault, not that the story acknowledges this). They're just okay and lovey-dovey at the end of the fairy tale, despite all logic.
This part of 'Princess Academy' does not receive a much-needed update, sadly.
Stop rewarding Nice GuysTM, media, please.
At least it's a small-fry part of the graphic novel, however.
Also, does Britta's abusive guardian get punished or rewarded (!?) at the end? I won't elaborate due to spoilers, but that seems like too crucial a detail to overlook and forget about. What the heck?
This links to there being, once again, no critique on the very existence of monarchies, and princesses as titles. No modern, necessary update there.
Miri's older sister Marda is barely a character. She is sidelined, and receives scarce page time, which is disappointing.
Finally, while I do praise the graphic novel for including POC characters where I think none exist in the original source material (most baffling considering it is set at mountain ranges and villages, where constant stone digging in quarries is a way of life), why did it give Katar, Miri's "rival" and the most antagonistic and aggressive girl at the Princess Academy, the darkest skin out of everyone? At least she's redeemed near the end; take from that what you will. I'll take whatever positivity I can find.
'Princess Academy: The Graphic Novel' has loads going for it, and much upholding it in its favour, that I can forgive its flaws. In whatever medium it is told, it is a nice story, penned by the marvellous and remarkable Shannon Hale.
'Princess Academy' - a story full of heart, and female bonds, and familial love.
It blesses us with Miri, one of the best heroines in children's literature. She's a flower, a flint, a spark, a star, and a song. Classic and underrated.
My review of the 2005 novel can be found here.
Final Score: 3.5/5
No comments:
Post a Comment