Three times.
I guess three times is the charm, because finally, finally, I fully understand, appreciate, and like and enjoy this queer witchy graphic novel for all ages. I will finally be keeping my own copy (my second read was of a library copy).
I won't say much
Even with the dramatic, tense and scary moments, there is also a pervasive kindness and gentleness to 'Mamo'. There is kindness as well as cleverness, courage and determination throughout; the graphic novel teaches us that love is, in fact, everywhere, and cynicism, division, narcissism, manipulation, and toxic possessiveness will not win.
It is a lovely and human story, within a grounded, serious narrative and setting (small fishermen's seaside, farm, woods and hedge town), filled with believable and logically-structured witch magic and supernatural elements.
It is well written, and surprisingly realistic. And dark. Realistically dark, yet hopeful and compassionate.
There are curses, moths, currawongs, bones, fairy rings, ghosts, little rock trolls, fish, sheep, nettle bracelets, and a black cat (of course!). The art is fantastic, too, as is the gorgeous cover art contained in the gallery at the end (some by Trung Le Nguyen!). Though I am a little disappointed that the final, chosen cover has the two female leads climbing trees together up towards the sky, when we never see anything of the sort in the actual graphic novel.
'Mamo' - all I have left to say is, I wish Joanna "Jo" Manalo and Orla O'Reilly well. They deserve all the happiness on earth. Together.
All witches, and all queers, deserve happiness, and a family that loves them. A community, society and world that loves them, for who they are.
They are always here, and no matter what, there is always a chance they will be okay.
Final Score: 4/5
P.S. Oh, and I can definitely see 'Mamo' as a Studio Ghibli film.
No comments:
Post a Comment