Wednesday 24 July 2024

Manga Review - 'Disney Mirrorverse: Belle' by Alex Singer (Writer), Irene Flores (Artist), Jan Apple (Storyboard Artist)

I know absolutely nothing about Disney's 'Mirrorverse' (I thought it was 'Kingdom Hearts'? Or was it 'Dreamlight Valley'?). And I have absolutely no interest in getting to know, and getting involved in, any of their latest unoriginal, unimaginative, soulless, overblown, oversaturated, nostalgia-bait, symptom-of-the-creative-bankruptcy-of-late-stage-capitalism crossover/multiverse cash grabs. But with 'Disney Mirrorverse: Belle', I only had to see the cover, and the second I found out about its premise of Belle as a sorceress and an action fantasy heroine, well, consider me immediately baited - hook, line, sinker, *%$£*!-yeah-give-it-to-me-you-dirty-evil-mouse. The spell is successfully cast and activated.

It stars my favourite Disney princess, who also happens to be my favourite Disney heroine, of my favourite Disney movie. Who in this incarnation is a heroine with a magic staff and who wears a winter cloak and cape, and boots. How could I not be interested?

I had to get my hands on 'Disney Mirrorverse: Belle', and funnily enough, on the morning I ordered it online, I received it later that night, and I read it right then and there in a flash. A flash of magic lightning.

Because, to my pleasant surprise and relief, this Disney "manga" is actually really, really good. It's a really well written and clever retelling, retooling and reimagining of Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'. I could tell that the writer, Alex Singer, must love the film, and love and understand the characters, and was paying extra, careful attention. As a result, we get a new story with twists, subversions, and attention to details, overt and subtle, that work on their own, as well as being lifted from and inspired by the original, beloved classic, which to this day remains as close to being something resembling perfection as Disney ever got.

I won't reveal much about what the twists and details of 'Belle' are, as it is truly best to go into it completely blind like I was, and not have any awe-inspiring, awestriking and awesome surprises spoiled before reading, but the basic idea, the premise, is: In this universe, the enchantress's spell on the Beast goes horribly wrong, and ends up affecting the woods and the village as well as the castle, and it is up to Belle - smart, logical, resilient, resourceful, brave, determined, no-nonsense, kind bookworm Belle - with her magic rose the enchantress gave her, to save her people, her town, her kingdom, from the curse (but maybe she doesn't have to do it all alone?). She's a detective, with books and secret, secluded libraries for research, as well as a heroine with a staff with a magic rose in it, which she primarily uses to temporarily heal dark magic.

I love that Belle is very much in character from the thirty-three-year-old film, even as a more active, proactive heroine who uses magic. It doesn't detract from her ordinary human strength, resolve, intelligence, inquisitiveness, levelheadedness, bold determination, kindness, caring, and understanding - all in service to save everyone, from her loved ones to the village bookshop owner to a little teacup to mysterious and hostile strangers. She's the town oddball who's always felt different, a lonely outsider - first it was for her book reading, and now it'll be because of her magic - and she gets frustrated with people's small-mindedness brought on by fear of what they don't understand. This trait is important to the story, to Belle's character development (like maybe she's not so selfless after all, and that's okay, that's human, and pride is not always a bad trait).

I could still relate to Belle strongly and full-heartedly. I still love her to death. I could still hear Paige O'Hara's voice easily in her dialogue, it's remarkable.

In fact, the same can be said for all the other characters. They're the same, they're just in a tweaked story that goes in a different- yet-similar (even slightly updated) direction from the original animated film. They also manage to look distinctly recognisable when drawn in a manga-style. Thankfully there are no big sparkly eyes here; nothing distracting, off-putting or predictable about the art.

But anyway, what I'm getting at is: Belle is a wonderful protagonist, who would make a great leader, and like Lisa Simpson, she is someone we should all aspire to be like. These cartoon females are the best.

Honestly, this is less a review of 'Disney Mirrorverse: Belle', and more an excuse for me to gush about Belle, which I haven't done in years. It looks like I have another example of one of the very, very few things I can thank Disney for these days: this story about my favourite outcast brunette bookworm princess, as - and I cannot stress this point enough - a sorceress and action fantasy heroine!

It's sadly not perfect - there remain a few plot holes and unresolved plot threads and details, and confusions in some of its expository dialogue. Not to mention there's that cliffhanger ending that leads into the 'Mirrorverse' game's storylines, and that screams, "This is still a corporation's product, and we own your money and soul, and always will". But it is a good enough story, and I love Belle that much, that I can overlook these.

I will be keeping this Disney manga close to my heart, alongside 'Disney Cruella: The Manga: Black, White, and Red', and other female-empowering Disney books, such as 'Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Library''Disney Frozen: A Sister More Like Me''One Perfect Day (Brave)', and 'Long Live the Pumpkin Queen' (Sally, Elsa and Merida are other favourites of mine).

It looks like, despite everything, I am guilty, and continue to be under Disney's enchantment and thrall. But when it comes to 'Beauty and the Beast', its story, and Belle, stay beautiful.

And timeless.

And respected.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment