Sunday 28 July 2024

Book Review - 'W.I.T.C.H. Adventures, #1: When Lightning Strikes' by Lene Kaaberbol (Writer), Disney Enterprises, Inc.

In keeping with my magical girl glittery nostalgia rush, and collecting anything to do with my current obsession: alongside 'Winx Club', there is 'W.I.T.C.H.'.

'W.I.T.C.H.' is another European/Italian magical girl series I loved as a child, yet I had not read 'W.I.T.C.H. Adventures, #1: When Lightning Strikes'. Well, now I don't think I'm too old or proud or "mature" for any media consumption, especially in reading, whether it's intended for kids or not, as quality should never differ depending on the age group of the target demographic.

So, in two hours tops I finished the 106-page 'W.I.T.C.H.' story, 'W.I.T.C.H. Adventures, #1: When Lightning Strikes', and what do I think? I think it is entertaining and well written enough. I certainly wouldn't deter any 'W.I.T.C.H.' fan from reading it.

It is told from the Guardian leader Will Vandom's point of view, and it is about a mysterious boy, Danny Nova, her new neighbour and crush (Matt Olsen is present, but there is no real love triangle, thank goddesses), and the story involves the Heart of Candracar, at its, uh, heart. The Guardian girls of Heatherfield, Earth, also end up exploring a magical world other than Metamoor, and it is full of creativity, tests and hardships. It is about W.I.T.C.H. and their friendship, love and care for one another, and about Will as their leader, in her ultimate test of courage, perseverance and believing in herself, and remembering what the Heart of Candracar in of itself means - to her, and in general - and it's not only a magic amulet which transforms five young teen girls into magical girls with elemental powers, whose job is to save and bring balance to the universe. Will's power of energy has more than one meaning behind it.

It shows how obsessed with 'W.I.T.C.H.' I was in my childhood that I didn't need to doublecheck that I'm spelling any of the character, place and object names correctly. The terminology rests in my heart forever.

'W.I.T.C.H. Adventures, #1: When Lightning Strikes' is short, yes, and it definitely could have been fleshed out more and paced better, especially in the first quarter. A few editing and proofreading jobs were needed, too. It is told from Will's perspective, so her day-to-day life, actions, thoughts, feelings, and development are focused on, which leaves the presence of the other four girls, Irma, Taranee, Cornelia and Hay Lin, somewhat weightless, thin and underdeveloped. Although they do get a few good, funny lines in, and Taranee is the second strongest personality-wise of the Guardians, being Will's best friend and so the one she hangs out most often with. The book's highlight - just above Will's funny talking electrical home appliances, and her lovely, loving mother Susan - is its second half, where the girls enter a new magical world and dimension, which I wont spoil anything about. The story can get surprisingly dark, clever and introspective for a supposed silly commercial magical girl product.

Indeed, I remember the 'W.I.T.C.H.' comics and chapter books being a lot smarter, more thoughtful and character driven than you might expect, so it is fitting.

'W.I.T.C.H. Adventures, #1: When Lightning Strikes' is for children - it is a school breaktime read - but I think 'W.I.T.C.H.' fans of any age can enjoy it. It is a nostalgic novella for me to be sure. Reading from Will's POV had captured and regained a lost feeling of me as a teenage girl (she is probably the most like me out of W.I.T.C.H.) - that alone makes it worth the price of admission. To buy and read the little book, that is.

What a nice, heartfelt, compassionate, friendly, and dramatic trip.

As always, GO W.I.T.C.H.!

For more of my 'W.I.T.C.H.' content and analyses, here is the link to my 'W.I.T.C.H.' Goodreads shelf. I've always been obsessed - in the franchise's early days, anyway - I admit it.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment