Thursday 24 January 2019

Manga Review - 'Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition 1' by Naoko Takeuchi

I must have talked about 'Sailor Moon' a hundred times now.

Really, I've already read this, time and time again. I could number any 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon' manga issue without blinking. Remember every detail, each trivia, by heart. But every edition of 'Sailor Moon' is special. I'd probably buy anything new that's about her, just because it makes me feel good. 

What can I say, I'm a fanatic. Of the moon; of the stars; of fantasy; of Magical Girls; of superheroines; of interesting and three-dimensional female heroes; of nostalgia.

'Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition 1' collects the first seven issues/acts of the classic manga, slightly translated differently from the previous renewal editions. More direct, faithful and flowing, I suppose. It's easy to tell that the translators were truly passionate about all things 'Sailor Moon', possibly from childhood, like myself and others. 

Magic, drama, action, humour, romance, cuteness, cleverness, cheese, fear, tension, mythology, love and friendship and empowerment - this series has it in queen's spades. Let's not forget the beautiful, transcendent artwork! Witness the coming-of-age growth of Usagi Tsukino - from clumsy, underachieving schoolgirl, to the literal queen of the world, and the most powerful soldier of love and justice in the universe.

The 'Eternal Edition' is recommended for any 'Sailor Moon' fan. I love this in my shelves; in my rows upon rows of memorabilia. I might have a problem. But surely it is a healthy obsession. Do I care?

In the name of the moon: No.

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment