Thursday, 24 January 2019

Manga Review - 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition, Vol. 1' by Naoko Takeuchi, Alethea Nibley (Translator), Athena Nibley (Translator)

2026 REREAD:

WELCOME TO SEPTEMBER MOON!

We have come to the reread of 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition, Vol. 1', with the newest English translation from 2018. Collecting the first seven Acts/chapters of the classic manga, it is, literally, bigger, and longer, and just as gorgeous as it has ever been. I can confidently say this retranslation is better than the 'Renewal Editions' that preceded it, and is put together by passionate 'Sailor Moon' fans.

Is there anything new I could add to it?

Well:

I've never mentioned Usagi's homeroom and English teacher, Haruna Sakurada, aka Haruda, have I? She appears even less in the manga than Naru, Umino, Furuhata, and other minor, ordinary civilian characters, and she pretty much disappears after the first half of the Dark Kingdom arc. Of course the anime expands on her character and gives her more appearances. As is, she exists to be Usagi's strict and grumpy, but fair and reasonable teacher.

In this translation, the most important McGuffin in the universe, the Silver Crystal, is called the 'Mystical Silver Crystal' instead of the 'Legendary Silver Crystal', and it isn't in quotations this time. I understand that the Japanese word for it, maboroshi no, can be translated into different English words that would fit - there are many words that can be derived from 'mysterious', or 'illusionary' or 'legendary', for example. It's where a thesaurus is useful. I'll just call the McGuffin the Silver Crystal, or the Silver Sailor Crystal, from now on, for simplicity's sake.

Likewise, Sailor Moon's 'Moon Stick' is the 'Moon Wand' here, and I'm glad, for it suits it, and the whole magical girl manga, better in English. It's a magic healing wand, after all.

Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite and Kunzite, the Earth's 'Four Kings of Heaven', are called the 'Four Heavenly Kings' of Earth, in the 'Eternal Edition'. It comes from Shitennō, who are a set of four deities of Buddhist legend. The Sanskrit name of which translates into English as 'four great kings' or 'four guardians of the world'. That tracks.

Speaking of Jadeite, in the third Act, when he kidnaps Rei in his demon bus and brings her to a hell dimension, in a stone castle, he says he liked her the moment he saw her, and he admires her beauty, hinting at a romantic interest. This is likely linked to the idea of the both of them being destined lovers, connected by their past lives, similar to Usagi and Mamoru; as seen in the Act 14 cover art, which never came to fruition in the story itself.

The translation notes at the end are a fun and interesting read. One detail I never thought of before, but which the translators make the connection, when they discuss Sendaizaka-shita, the place of Jadeite's evil mystery/demon bus plot, that is also an interconnected road/slope: Princess D's Kingdom of D, or D Kingdom, could be related to the Dark Kingdom. Similar name, similar Dark Kingdom plot connection, and the D Kingdom is the 'Land of Jewels', and 'the world's biggest producer of jewels', and is home to all the world's gems and crystals. The Dark Kingdom is looking for the most powerful crystal in the universe, the Silver Crystal, so... And this time I've fully caught on that the Dark Kingdom is situated on Earth, and always has been; currently it's underground, in a deep, dark cave at the North Pole, its remains hidden in cursed ruins, where Queen Metalia was sealed away. The reincarnated Queen Beryl, who was an ordinary human explorer at 'D-Point' at the North Pole, freed her, as was her "destiny" and "fate".

The whole manga is beautiful, cute and funny, with a sweetness, innocence and hopefulness to it, especially in its humble beginnings. I remain in love with all the characters, even Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask, though Sailor Moon will always be my personal favourite.

What magical, pretty, feminine fun!

For further info and thoughts on the first arc of 'Sailor Moon', here are links to my reviews of:


'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1'

'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2'

'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3'


From the future of 'Sailor Moon' manga translations, at its best, to its very first, and roughest translation, not helped by its trying to adapt to the first English dub of the anime: 'Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 ', the 1990s-2000s pocket-sized edition by Chix Comix/MixxZine/Tokyopop!

Happy September Moon!

Final Score: 5/5





Original Review:



I must have talked about 'Sailor Moon' a hundred times now.

Really, I've already read this, time and time again. I could number any 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon' manga issue without blinking. Remember every detail, each trivia, by heart. But every edition of 'Sailor Moon' is special. I'd probably buy anything new that's about her, just because it makes me feel good.

What can I say, I'm a fanatic. Of the moon; of the stars; of fantasy; of Magical Girls; of superheroines; of interesting and three-dimensional female heroes; of nostalgia.

'Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition 1' collects the first seven issues/acts of the classic manga, slightly translated differently from the previous renewal editions. More direct, faithful and flowing, I suppose. It's easy to tell that the translators were truly passionate about all things 'Sailor Moon', possibly from childhood, like myself and others.

Magic, drama, action, humour, romance, cuteness, cleverness, cheese, fear, tension, mythology, love and friendship and empowerment - this series has it in queen's spades. Let's not forget the beautiful, transcendent artwork! Witness the coming-of-age growth of Usagi Tsukino - from clumsy, underachieving schoolgirl, to the literal queen of the world, and the most powerful soldier of love and justice in the universe.

The 'Eternal Edition' is recommended for any 'Sailor Moon' fan. I love this in my shelves; in my rows upon rows of memorabilia. I might have a problem. But surely it is a healthy obsession. Do I care?

In the name of the moon: No.

Final Score: 5/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment