Saturday 12 January 2019

Graphic Novel Review - 'Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie #1)' by Jill Thompson

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



An even more junior 'Scary Godmother'. In fact I'm convinced that Magic Trixie is Scary Godmother as a kid. That's my head canon.

'Magic Trixie' is a cute, funny little Halloween comic for children. For fantasy, it deals with real issues at school, and in families; specifically jealousy over a baby sibling. I'm all for little witches in any medium, and this treat quenched my first.

Trixie, she with the frizzy hair, is so fun, moody and boisterous, but caring deep down. I love it. She reminded me of Merida from 'Brave', in a way. Despite her talents and occasional boasting, she struggles coming up with new and creative magic spells. Trixie is not perfect; she makes mistakes, which for a young female protagonist in a kids' story is welcome.

There is also a pet talking black cat (because of course there is, and this one has no discernible gender, kind of like in 'Coraline'), a little werewolf girl, an Egyptian mummy girl, a Frankenstein's monster boy, two vampires, a creepy ghost schoolteacher straight out of a haunted house painting, and relatively ordinary parents for a witch family. Watch out for the grandmother (sorry, I mean Mimi) cameo!

A dollop of sweet, magic fun, greatly drawn as well. Jill Thompson does it again.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment