Saturday 23 September 2017

Manga Review - 'Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Vol. 1' by Coolkyoushinja

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



Very inappropriate for an "All-Ages" manga. Yet I ended up really liking this in spite of a few reservations.

Normally I hate anime and manga with a focus on maids and maid outfits: it's a type of "I live to serve you in any way, Master" fetish fuel; sexist; outdated; degrading; fanservice. Nothing more. At least 'Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Vol. 1' is more self-aware than most of its ilk. Also it's not so much about the maid's outfit (there are different kinds, as is pointed out here), as it is about the person within it (or underneath it... urgh!)

The humour in 'Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid' works well for an "ordinary human in modern world meets extraordinary fantasy circumstances"-style slice-of-life, episodic comedy (something I'm not usually into). There are some ironic and witty parts. I like the bored, down-to-earth closeted Otaku Miss Kobayashi, who works at Hell Tours LTD, and likes to drink. A lot. I like her young shapeshifting dragon maid Tohru (how young is made too highly ambiguous) from another world, standing in complete contrast to her, and who's in love with her "mistress". Currently it's one-sided, as is typical in sitcoms, yet I'm relieved due to the age issue. The name Tohru, for a girl, reminds me of the main lead in 'Fruits Basket' as well, which automatically scores points from me. And I like the little fellow shapeshifter Kanna. Side characters are also funny and memorable in their own understated ways (even the obligatory big-breasted girl shapeshifter). There is more to them all than initial appearances suggest.

The artwork is rather inconsistent, light and confusing. But occasionally the drawings - especially of Tohru in her dragon form, and in the rare panels where she's serious and intense - are magnificent. Raw emotions are there and cannot be mistaken.

'Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Vol. 1' - a kinda cute, kinda crass fantasy comedy with a wild premise and female focus. It definitely has funny and clever elements to it. Plus LBGTQ content (but seriously, how old is Tohru? Even for a dragon? Kobayashi is clearly an adult. Curse you Moe Lolita! I scourge everything you represent!).

I haven't enjoyed a manga in a long time and this is a good pick-me-up, like tea, coffee, sugar. It did its job and caught my interest, as I'm sure this is how it snared other readers, and it won't let go. One of my guilty pleasures of the year.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment