Friday 7 October 2016

Book Review - 'Isadora Moon Goes to School' by Harriet Muncaster

So cute! The cutest thing! What a cutie little book for kids of all backgrounds!

I could relate to a lot about 'Isadora Moon', starring a half-vampire/half-fairy little girl. I love vampires and fairies and both the darkness and pink sweetness of them respectively. A sweet tooth and a twisted mind, that's me! I've always considered myself as both a Goth-type loner and a friendly girly-girl. Why can't I like any "non-fitting" things, and just like whatever I want? An identity is your own; it is YOU who is unique. Appearances are deceiving.

Isadora's middle school experiences also made me reflect on mine, so long ago. What dreadful times.

Isadora Moon is optimistic yet nervous, and wild, determined, adorable, and sad. She's trying to find out who she is and where she belongs in the world, as a mixed-race child of night and day. Her trials and trains of thought reminded me much of my own when I was a schoolgirl.

The book teaches the vital, timeless moral that it is okay - no, that it is amazing and awesome! - to be different. Fun fact: EVERYBODY'S DIFFERENT! IT'S NOT A BAD THING AT ALL! WE ARE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US LIKE THE STARS! Be happy as an individual. Give people a chance and get to know them before passing judgement. This makes 'Isadora Moon' comforting and life-affirming for children who are lonely and bullied, as well as nostalgic.

More cute: Isadora's baby sister is named Honeyblossom. Not cute: Pink Rabbit is kind of a pest.

Expect no violence or blood (there are plenty of tomatoes though) in this children's 4-chapter book featuring vampires.

'Isadora Moon Goes to School' - a twinkling, candyfloss charm.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment