Friday 19 August 2016

Top 20 Favourite Films - Part 1

Hey everyone! Well, I feel it's time to do what I always wanted since starting this blog - a countdown list of my favourite types of medium in popular culture.

Here is a list telling you my Top 20 Favourite Films of all time, leading up to number 1.

Before I start, a disclaimer: This is my list. This list is entirely opinion-based and personal. I'm not going to add any movies based on how good they are considered to be in the general consensus. One person may love a movie passionately and rank it as their favourite, while another person may see it as a piece of shit, and could write a whole essay explaining why they think so. Everyone is different. Everyone has and shares different experiences. Everyone has their own personal reasons for liking and disliking something, no matter the popular opinion that something is viewed with. So no list of favourite films can be objective, otherwise everyone's would be more or less the same. After all, this is a favourites list, not a greatest list. I often stray away from the crowd, anyway, and try to be different. My film list is based on how much each of them has affected me positively, and my history with them; how they have resonated with me, changed me. I will explain why it's these movies in particular that I would watch over and over again and never grow tired of. Why I love them so dearly. They may perhaps reveal to you what kind of a person I am, too.

Right, with that out of the way, let's begin.





20. 'Aladdin' (1992)

The first film I've ever watched that got me into loving the art of animation, plus film making overall. It's one of my first Disney movies - the one I enjoyed the most for its scope and brilliant animation. My first conscious look into how storytelling structures and character arcs are implemented. Really, 'Aladdin' has it all and everything else a little kid born in the nineties can get immersed into: Action, comedy, romance, drama, colourful 2D cartoon aesthetics, catchy as hell songs - it flows with exuberant energy in every scene. It's one of the reasons why I love musicals, as well. While breaking it down to its simplest form it is just another male underdog story of a poor boy who saves the day from evil and gets the girl (and a whole kingdom!) in the end, there is so much charm in this little picture. The execution is extremely well handled in a roller coaster edge-of-your-seat way bound to get any child's heart pumping with excitement. 'Aladdin' is entertaining from the beginning to its closing credits. Maybe it is my nostalgia talking, but this Disney diamond in the rough is the first movie I remember loving unconditionally. For some that childhood movie life-changer was 'The Empire Strikes Back', for me that honourable spot goes to 'Aladdin'. Having watched it lord knows how many times in my life, it is and will always remain one of my favourite films.

RIP Robin Williams.


19. 'Enchanted' (2007)

I freaking love 'Enchanted'. I was surprised by how much I fell for it when I finally saw it years after its release. It's just so positive, so delightful, so comforting, while somehow managing not to be saccharine or manipulative. Style over substance does not apply to 'Enchanted'. The whole movie is like a supportive friend who reassures you about the good things in life when you've had a really difficult time. It subverts the usual, tired Disney formula, but how it goes about it isn't cynical at all, when it could have so easily gone that route. The people who made this gem clearly love the classics and were adding their own tweaks to the cliches they grew up with. I appreciate films which show the care present in making it something people would want to watch repeatedly. The film's bubbly energy, grounded in reality exactly when it needs to be, is all thanks to its perfectly-cast performers. I adore Amy Adams in one of her first major film roles. I believe 'Enchanted' is one of Disney's most underrated films (don't worry, not every film on this list is by Disney). The way it mixes cartoony animation with live action is underutilized, and while the animated portions are small possibly due to saving on the budget, that works in the film's favour. There's no need to be blown away like we were with 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' - because that film already existed before. 'Enchanted' doesn't try to be like anything else, and how the fairy tale animation setting contrasts with the more grim modern day New York city - but is still sparkling with potential - is excellent. I don't know how it all works so well, stringing together so majestically in my eyes. It just does. Some parts of 'Enchanted' are very silly, but not annoying. Also the 'Sleeping Beauty'-inspired climax has its evil sorceress turn into a dragon who. won't. shut. up. Oh well, favourite movies are not perfect movies. No movie is perfect, period. 'Frozen' perhaps subverts the Disney and fairy tale formula to a better effect, however 'Enchanted' - a fitting title to describe the viewing experience - will always have a special place in my heart. A spiritual successor to the Disney films we grew up loving, while retaining that same spirit itself.


18. 'Shakespeare in Love' (1998)

Many hail 'Moulin Rouge!' to be the first movie in recent memory that's incredibly zany, boisterous and fun, like a two-hour-long song and dance number set in a big glorious theatre, never caring about the rules of conventional film making, while at its heart it's a classic love story worthy of an opera. Well, as much as I hate to sound like one of those pretentious, sanctimonious film snobs, on this point I feel like going against my good nature and saying, "'Shakespeare in Love' did it first, and did it better". To this day I can't really explain why I love 'Shakespeare in Love'. I'm not a fan of William Shakespeare's works, or romances in general, and I'm sure as hell not a fan of costume dramas. Stories set in the 16th and 17th centuries in England tend to bore me. But with 'Shakespeare in Love', my love is blind. Maybe it's the comedy, the romance I actually care about, the way it cleverly uses plot elements from Shakespeare's plays to parallel the bard's own personal history, or maybe I just think that Joseph Fiennes as Bill is hot. Yes the film is heavily romanticized, to the point where to call it an autobiography is seriously pushing it, but it treats Shakespeare as a poet and playwright with respect towards his hard work. Dame Judi Dench is also tough yet humorous as the Queen of England. In fact, everybody owns their role to a punch, even Ben Affleck. Very funny, sexy, touching and surprisingly tragic at the end (who said this is Hollywoodized Shakespeare, again?), 'Shakespeare in Love' is my favourite romance movie, known patronizingly as a chick flick, as if films mainly targeting women and are beloved by women are somehow inferior, worthy of hatred and ridicule (looking at you, petty detractors of 'Titanic').


17. 'Singin' in the Rain' (1952)

Ahh the classics! They don't make movies like this anymore. They really don't. 'Singin' in the Rain' invented the genre of film making of just having fun. Of having characters brought to life on screen by casting the most charismatic actors in the world - it's a lighthearted musical, so that element is a must for an instant classic. You'd swear that a lot of 'Singin' in the Rain' was improvised - a spontaneous, scene-to-scene romp with a Hollywood budget. The songs are great, its various scenery is visually spectacular for its time, the dancing (ha!) is infectious, its commentary on the film industry and its changes overtime is portrayed both humorously and sadly. I love looking at behind-the-scenes stuff in any film, and 'Singin' in the Rain' adding in a musical theatre angle to that, well, it's a dream come true to my eyes and ears. Adapting to change and doing new things is overwhelming and scary. But working as a team, coming together as one, is the key to success. 'Singin' in the Rain' - one of my favourite musicals, and one of my favourite movies.


16. 'Brave' (2012)

A film after my own fantasy feminist heart! It contains nearly everything that I love: It's animated - by Pixar no less - it's a fantasy tale with a female lead, there's swords and sorcery and none of its elements are overblown. It's a quaint little film that's more original than most people give it credit for, to the point where its title subtly explores its themes. Beautiful. 'Brave' is Pixar's first film with a female protagonist, and their first attempt at an original fairy tale. Set in medieval Scotland, it's a fairy tale film that subverts storytelling plots common to Disney, more so than 'Enchanted' (as a comedy) and even 'Frozen' (played more serious) do. More specifically, 'Brave' subverts practically everything from my least favourite Disney film, 'The Little Mermaid'. The mother of the main lead is alive and present and is a character crucial to the development of said lead (whilst developing throughout the film by herself). The witch isn't evil, and is downplayed in order for the heroine to grow up on her own and act to fix her own mistakes, using her brain as well as her brawn. Hell, the movie cleverly brings up the fact that princes can get away with anything - they can be whoever they want to be (within a hyper-masculine idea of manhood, that is) - but princesses don't have that luxury. They are constantly monitored, constantly criticized, constantly pressured to look and act like the perfect specimen of grace and submissiveness all the time. This is a tradition carried out in real life, since the dawn of time, not just in fairy tales. At the heart of 'Brave' is the mother-and-daughter bond, and the difficulties of raising a rebellious teenager. Yes we've seen the rebel teen princess hundreds of times before, even I've become sick of that cliche, but how many other films - much less animated ones - can you name where the relationship centers on the princess and her mother? Where there is no romance - despite marriage being forced on the girl, and that's a major plot point? It's the catalyst to the worst troubles the parent and child face, leading to either their demise or their bond becoming stronger based on empathy, and the girl taking responsibility for her selfish actions. In the spirit of breaking traditions, the female protag in this film doesn't have to be 100% likable all the time. As long as she gets to experience character development throughout her story the same as a typical male lead does, it all works out; coming together towards the end, just like a family would. 'Brave' also delivers a message that sometimes it's okay to break tradition, as long as you're doing it for selfless reasons. Progress! See what I mean now about the film's originality and subversion? 'Brave' is another underrated fave of mine. It makes me teary-eyed every time I watch it, for personal, family reasons. The love that went into making it shows, and its heart is in the right place, at least. A quiet triumph.





To be continued in Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment