Friday 13 September 2024

Book Review - 'Sunday The Sea Witch' by Andrea Stein, Cayce Matteoli (Illustrator)

A positive, magical review on Friday the thirteenth.

About a book where the main character is named Sunday.

Oh my good goddesses and queens, what a lovely picture book 'Sunday The Sea Witch' is.

It has practically everything I love and things I didn't realise I loved before: redhaired witch girls, wicca imagery, spellcasting, the sea, the crescent moon, seashells, mermaids, otters, jellyfish, octopi, seals, dolphins, the woods, frogs, pinecones... so much sea life and woodland life!

I want Sunday's life!

It also made me feel nostalgic for the houses and cottages I used to visit on holidays when I was a young girl. Some of those houses were by the sea. Like Sunday, I used to collect shells and stones from the beach, and stuff from wherever there were trees near my home. How wild and magical and dreamlike things are when you are a child; full of possibilities, and opportunities to get down and dirty.

'Sunday The Sea Witch' is at its core about finding yourself, and your inner spark and magic again, after a big change in your life. Change is good, and you're still you, no matter where you are. Whatever your change in affinity is - like with your magic and/or childlike wonder - it is always a positive thing to explore and expand your horizons; therefore you expand on your craft. You still have your heart, as you continue to grow and experience life.

Never lose yourself; what makes you you. Never lose your confidence.

There are beautiful illustrations and rhymes, as well.

'Sunday The Sea Witch' - what a me picture book!

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment