Tuesday 31 January 2023

Graphic Novel Review - 'Magical Boy Volume 2' by The Kao

What an honour and privilege it is to have read a fantastic fantasy graphic novel duology within a month!

'Magical Boy Volume 2' is a smashing, tearful and so damn hopeful conclusion to the first volume. I won't dare reveal anything of its substance - I don't want to spoil any important content in a series that should be read by everyone, who should experience everything firsthand - but all I'll say is that this time there are themes of fighting inner "demons" as well as outer monsters, snapping out of self-doubt, self-loathing and depression through the love of supportive and accepting friends and family, never having to struggle alone, relief from hate and aggression and unhappiness, questioning long held traditions and legacies (as well as changing them with the times), and generational trauma. The love of your friends and family is powerful, world saving - and world changing - stuff, and it makes everything worth it.

The book isn't perfect. There's the unexplored, unresolved issues concerning a revelation about the talking cat Walnut, who I kind of hate now. Jen and Pyper barely interact. Plus it could have gone a bit further with its gender critique. But it's fine and revolutionary as it is. That ending is damn near perfect.

'Magical Boy Volume 2' also... well, I know I said I'll try to steer clear of potential spoiler content, but I have to mention that there is a "surprise-straight" "twist" at the end; a subversion of the common and typical "surprise-gay" "twist" device in story endings in other media. Nearly all of the main cast are LGBTQ+, so it would be a twist, as it were.

Anyway, that's it from me.

Just read it. Read all of 'Magical Boy'. Seriously.

It's beautiful. It's great. Like the Magical Boy Max Owen.

Read my review of 'Magical Boy Volume 1' here.

Final Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment