Sunday 16 December 2018

Graphic Novel Review - 'Cucumber Quest: The Flower Kingdom (Cucumber Quest #4)' by Gigi D.G.

2022 EDIT: From my 'Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom' review:

I'm clearing out some of my books, and I'm afraid I've decided to give this series away, especially since I've read in the author's blog posts that they won't be finishing 'Cucumber Quest', at least not for a while. No plans seem to have been made yet. No more paperback volumes are being published either. Oh well, 'Cucumber Quest' remains a funny, cute, subversive and heartwarming cartoony webcomic series, but I will no longer be continuing it.





Original Review:



The latest and most divisive of the 'Cucumber Quest' comic volumes. Don't let the title and the pink cover fool you - 'The Flower Kingdom' is certainly the darkest instalment, and the most convoluted in plotting.

I still enjoyed it, and I loved a lot of its character and story developments. But overall its narrative structure and content can get confusing and overwhelming, particularly for a child audience. Some of the great humour is lost at the expense of the tonal whiplash as well.

There's the new minion Rosemaster, the most complex of the lot so far, who is like a darker, more sophisticated Poison Ivy; the return of Lord Cabbage, working various jobs; Peridot is given many, many chances to shine in this volume - and she is becoming my favourite character; Carrot also shines, quite literally, in his brave development as a knight. Sadly Cucumber hardly does anything here.

Next up there's Boltergeist the guardian spirit of doors, who hates door haters; the salad duo become a trio again by picking a random postman for their group; let us not forget the kingdom with two kings who are married!; and Saturday and her butler return in an ending plot twist. Among other features that would take too long to list. There is more than meets the eye, concerning the Nightmare Knight and his minions, is all I'll say.

Like I said, the story is rather complicated.

Was there any real point to the beauty contest, the main plot?

Oh Peridot, she is one of the saving graces in 'The Flower Kingdom'. She interacts with a bunch of characters, is fiercely proactive, and she slowly but surely grows to have feelings for her opponent Almond; even dreaming of their wedding day! The LBGTQ content is strong in this comic - another saving grace. Peridot also bonds with the Nightmare Knight - over baking! and a Magical Girl TV show! (which Almond also loves).

Plus, more of Princess Parfait and the Nightmare Knight being friends (reluctantly on his part), and it is still sweet and beautiful. Siblings Almond and Cucumber share a nice, heartbreaking moment or two together. Cordelia, little that she actually appears in the series, is funny and interesting, and her relationship with Peridot is very adorable and touching, for a master and her minion.

The artwork is stronger and more vibrant than ever. It fits the dramatic story exceedingly well.

I don't know. A dark tone is fine when executed carefully, with the subversion theme. That's not the problem here. But I think the series is just becoming too perplexing. All those subplots and characters. 'The Flower Kingdom' doesn't even contain a bonus issue at the end.

'Cucumber Quest' needs to develop slowly, introducing plot and character elements a bit simpler, in my opinion. I don't think I'll be continuing the series, however; I'm not even sure when the next volume will be published. I'm very picky about what I read, especially graphic novels and their sequels.

Well, that's all folks.

For now.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment