Friday 2 November 2018

Book Review - 'The Cat Mummy' by Jacqueline Wilson

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

[In this case, it is me letting go of all of Jacqueline Wilson's books; ultimately decided after rereading 'Hetty Feather'. A lot of them have not aged well, in my opinion, or are just baffling, shocking. I cannot abide the author's child abuse-excusing, fatphobic, internalised misogyny-filled, and sometimes ableist books for children. There are often other other problematic tropes and clichés, too. It doesn't matter if they're childhood favourites, or are "cute and harmless". If I can let go of 'Harry Potter', then I can do the same for these books, no problem. Goodbye, Jacqueline Wilson.]

Final Score: 3.5/5



2021 EDIT: Remains a sweet and sad little classic.

Final Score: 4/5





Original Review:



Another favourite Jacqueline Wilson book of mine from childhood.

'The Cat Mummy' is less than one hundred pages long, and it is such a sweet and touching little treat. Young Verity is learning about Ancient Egypt and mummifying at school, and when at home she finds that her beloved old tabby Mabel has died, the poor girl can't think what to do. Except mummify her cat and stuff the body in a duffel bag, hiding it from her family. Her family who have never been able to properly talk to Verity about death, after her mother died when she was born.

I adore every character in this. I even love Verity's late mum as much as she does, knowing her only from photos and her dad's and grandparent's stories. For such a short children's book, the characters do feel real - the kids and adults. Miss Smith, Verity's teacher, is so cool. So is her grandfather. And the cats are ridiculously cute and snugly.

I could relate to quite a bit in 'The Cat Mummy'. At school I also really liked learning about Ancient Egypt. I was fascinated by it. I still keep the little clay sarcophagus that I made at an art class - I must have been barely seven. I also had an old fat, lazy cat that had been in my family since before I was born, and naturally I was shocked and heartbroken when she died. It was while we were away on holiday no less. Jacqueline Wilson does understand children's feelings and life at British schools.

A sad but sweet tiny bundle of joy, 'The Cat Mummy' can be read to children as a way to talk to them about the heavy and difficult subject of death. A must for little darlings who love cats. This is an easy-read classic to hug and cry over.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment