Thursday 11 January 2024

Book Review - 'The Worst Sleepover in the World' by Sophie Dahl (Writer), Luciano Lozano (Illustrator)

I gave this a lower rating at first, and put it aside to forget about it. But I found I couldn't forget about it. I became nearly obsessed. And days later, I reconsidered my rating and boosted it, and bought my own copy.

Because 'The Worst Sleepover in the World' is one of the funniest and most realistic picture books I have ever read. It's a children's picture book that has no clear moral at any point. It's like a classic sitcom episode, told with cute, colourful drawings. It just depicts life; moments between a parent and little children, while making every character three-dimensional. They are true reflections of real people, thus making them relatable to both littluns and adults. So 'The Worst Sleepover in the World' is for everyone. It is incredible.

It tells of what a real sleepover for young girls would be like (not that I would know personally, never having been invited to one *sniff*), and the mum's laudable attempts for it not to turn into a complete disaster. She is trying her best at everything, from meeting snack demands to reading a story to airing out the dog's farts to preventing tantrums by playing birdsongs on her phone to offering her own bedroom for her guest to sleep in, and it is so commendable. It's for her daughter and her daughter's friend - not to mention there's her second, five-year-old daughter who joins in - and she is constantly on high alert. Of course she is absolutely knackered in the morning!

I love portrayals of loving and caring mums who are still very human. Who, even when they manage not to lose their temper and cool, it is transparent that they are not some saintly picture of what motherhood should be like, entirely invented by the patriarchy. These mums do the best they can, and are not penalised for making mistakes, for no one is perfect, and everyone is their own person, with their own characteristics and quirks. In this picture book, I found I related to this adult the most, even though I am not a mother (yet, one can only hope).

Bonus points for the mixed race family representation.

No male characters in sight, as well (apart from Dad in a family photo frame in Mum's bedroom).

It is a surprise how much I enjoyed 'The Worst Sleepover in the World', as I've hated previous works by Sophie Dahl. But this is a hilarious (and very British!) treat. Cute, too, and not really cynical, annoying or meanspirited, when it could easily have been. I kind of wish for a sequel - I adore these characters, especially Mum! (Oh but she's not the protag - that would be her kid, Ramona, plus the little sister Ruby, these two I also love.)

Thus concludes my first new review of 2024. How uplifting and promising to begin the new year with a laugh. From a slice-of-life piccy book.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment