Sunday 3 September 2023

Graphic Novel Review - 'Lily Halfmoon: The Magic Gems' by Xavier Bonet, Marie Trinchant (Translator)

This new, obscure, opaque, opal little gem (ok already I'm done with the confused wordplay and puns) brought me right back to my much younger, magical girl power loving years, which I honestly never outgrew.

'Lily Halfmoon' is like 'W.I.T.C.H.' and 'Winx Club'. There's a little of 'Sailor Moon', 'Zodiac Starforce' and 'Avalon: Web of Magic' in it, and it's like an elementary school version of 'Over My Dead Body' by Sweeney Boo.

I happened upon this comic - the English translated, paperback edition - by chance in my local bookshop, and I couldn't stop thinking about the title, the colours, and the fact it's about witchcraft and a witch school. On my quest to find and consume every witch media there is, I knew I had to read it, and thank the goddesses I ended up enjoying it.

'Lily Halfmoon: The Magic Gems' is soft, colourful, pastel, delightful, whimsical, and so darn cute. Really, the artwork is wonderful, beautiful and fantastic, if a bit manga-esque.

It's one of those stories that contains everything I love, or junior me would have loved to death: magic, girl power, magical girl powers, witchcraft, a secret witches' school, gems, a moonstone, a moon theme, a friendship theme, cute little animals/familiars (like a fox, an owl, and an axolotl!), and mentioning the goddess Artemis!

If only it weren't so short at 70 pages, though it does its job well in those pages, and there is a sequel. There is much more to be developed, and discovered. Even with its few pages of interesting witchy information, plus there are the very small and limited character bios at the end that barely reveal anything.

A sweet, adorable, magical book. Kids are sure to gobble it up.

To end my short review of the short comic, below is the 'Lily Halfmoon' witches' pledge in the witches' Library, which I do not entirely trust, of course, as you'll read:


Witches and Wizards,
Sorcerers and Enchanters,
By the magic granted to you,
You must solemnly promise:


To endeavour to complete
The Three Tests and discover your unique power.

To use the resources of The Library and
your own powers wisely and for the greater good.

To protect those who cannot protect
themselves, whether or not they request your
help or believe they need it.

To never reveal the existence of
The Library and the knowledge it contains
to those who cannot use magic, and to keep
your own powers as well as your peers'
a secret forever.



Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment