Thursday 3 August 2023

Graphic Novel Review - 'Coraline' by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell (Adaptor/Artist)

Every 'Coraline' fan should read this.

I know I should have read the graphic novel adaptation years ago. It makes sense since I dearly love both the book and the animated film. But I was put off by the negative reviews online saying they didn't like the artwork; that it made the story and the characters plain, bland and lacking in the spooky, scary, whimsical atmosphere that makes 'Coraline' so famous and beloved.

However, now that I have finally read the graphic novel, to judge for myself, I can say that, in my opinion, it is as well told as the original novella - it is a solid adaptation, beat for beat - and it is effective in creating an unsettling, unnerving, horror atmosphere for the bold, imaginative and story-loving children reading it.

It is not as good as the book or the movie, which are darn-near perfect and the most famous in the 'Coraline' pop culture IP, but it is a worthy addition to its name. It is what you'd expect of it, and more: a deceptively creepy fairy tale about an ordinary young girl's coming-of-age journey, rescue mission, quest, and escape; achieved using her exploration, curiosity, cognizance, learned experiences, wits, and courage.

The unique, unchanging, timeless story of Coraline Jones, and her fight and persistence against the evils in her new home - hidden, and be they deep underneath, demonic, or Cthulhic (?) - is about bravery. What it truly means to be brave.

True, this adaptation's artwork can be a mixed bag, hit-and-miss. It's simple enough - the story has its humanity and mundanity of life as well as its supernatural side, after all - and colourful, cloudy, smoky, and ghostly, if a bit dry, but often in a good way. Then there's the Other Mother, the Other Father, the Other Bobo, the corridor between worlds, and especially the mice and rats - they look terrifying; subconsciously, tinglingly, tantalizingly so. Seriously, I didn't think I could be afraid of rats until I read this comic!

But the human characters, most notably their faces, are off-model at times, with strange expressions that don't fit with what is currently going on. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to reflect the creepiness of 'Coraline'. Also I think P. Craig Russell has trouble drawing necks. Examples include: in one panel at the beginning Coraline looks like she has a big ball-shaped lump under her chin; and in one panel over the halfway point it looks like she has no neck at all! Just her head and long hair floating over her body. A stylistic choice?

Later on, Coraline says she had wanted yellow frog boots in a shop, when previously, in the scene/panel she is referring to, said boots are clearly green. She mentions "protective coloration" when planning a trap at the end of the book...this makes more sense in the novella, where "protective coloration" is mentioned beforehand near the beginning, when Coraline first learns about it, thus setting up and foreshadowing its use by her at the end of the story. Russell added in the payoff, but forgot the set up, in his adapting process, I guess. And at said ending, where she is supposed to be always wearing a key in a string around her neck, in most panels she isn't. Consistency in the artwork is not this 'Coraline' adaptation's strongest, smartest suit.

The smallest of details are predominantly the most important.

Yet regardless, I kind of love it. I love the 'Coraline' story, and the graphic novel does it justice. It's still 'Coraline'. Effectively, chillingly, colourfully 'Coraline'.

'Coraline' - one of the very few works of Neil Gaiman that I still enjoy to this day, and which has aged the best, in my opinion. Now I can add the official graphic novel to my 'Coraline' corralling (heh), alongside the original book, the film, a doll, and other stuff.

Good stuff.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment