Thursday 30 March 2023

Top 37 Animated Films with Female Protagonists (2023)

Another update on an old list - a list of one of my favourite subjects: animation with female protagonists!

These are my new personal fave animated movies where women and girls rule. The list counts down in the order of enjoyment, with number one being my absolute favourite of all time.

Rules: No sequels, unless it is a sequel to a film which has a predominant male protagonist; the film applies if the female protag is working equally alongside a male protag (as in, they both clearly, unequivocally count as joint protagonists, or if the female character has a little more screentime and development, and more of an arc, than her male counterpart); and I will only write side commentary if I have anything new and relevant to add to the film.

The link to my Top 25 Animated Films with Female Protagonists post from four years ago (you can bet a lot has changed since then!) is in Part 1 and Part 2, for more info.

Right, here I go!





37. Any animated film with a female protag from 2023

Ha! Sorry. Cheating with a current placeholder here, for a film that hasn't come out yet. I'm saving a potential spot for either Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken, Wish, or Nimona. It could go to any one of them, or others I haven't yet heard of.

[November 2023 EDIT: Now that I have seen the three films above, I have to give Nimona the spot on here, despite how technically Nimona herself is not the protagonist. Genderqueer/genderfluid/LBGTQ+ rep FTW, though. Ruby Gillman counts as an honourable mention.

2024 EDIT: Oh to heck with it: Elemental counts as well. Love that film, and wish I'd seen it sooner.

So, with the three films mentioned in the above two paragraphs, plus one more, this could really be a Top 40 Animated Films with Female Protagonists list. Let's see if I can find another film worthy to be on it. Hooray for more numbers!

2024 REEDIT: Aaaaannnnd I've just discovered A Greyhound of a Girl (2023), and I love that, too. So, that's 40 Animated Films with Female Protagonists! I should redo this list in another post 😄😅😆🤣]

Starting the list proper now!


36. Any Barbie movie.

Cheating again, I know. But any of them could truly count. Some are actually pretty good. Though my personal favourites are Barbie in the Nutcracker, Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus, Barbie and the Three Musketeers, Barbie & the Diamond Castle, Barbie: Star Light Adventure, Barbie and the Secret Door, and Barbie: Princess Charm School. Girl power!

(Can't wait for Greta Gerwig's live-action Barbie movie, too.)


35. Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs (2019)

I've said some negative stuff about this film in the past. But I've looked into it again, and little, niggling things in the writing aside, it is actually rather good. Fun and colourful, and a well done fairy tale subversion. It is also very rewatchable, and a great comfort film. It sure cheered me up a bit.

I just wish there was a Snow White adaptation/retelling where she has female friends, you know?


34. Sita Sings the Blues (2008)


33. The Cat Returns (2002)


32. Tangled (2010)


31. Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)


30. Belle (2021)


29. Finding Dory (2016)


28. Wolf Children (2012)


27. Whisper of the Heart (1995)


26. My Neighbour Totoro (1988)


25. The Princess and the Frog (2009)


24. Anastasia (1997)


23. Cinderella (1950)


22. The Secret of NIMH (1982)


21. Frozen (2013)


20. Alice in Wonderland (1951)


19. Mulan (1998)


18. Sleeping Beauty (1959)


17. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)


16. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)


15. Wolfwalkers (2020)


14. Persepolis (2007)


13. Turning Red (2022)


12. Moana (2016)


11. Coraline (2009)


10. The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021)


9. When Marnie Was There (2014)


8. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)


7. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)


6. The Breadwinner (2017)


5. Chicken Run (2000)

(I'm not yet convinced that those making the sequel this year don't deserve to go to hell. Why does everything have to have a sequel these days!? Leave the classics alone!!!!!!)


4. Brave (2012)


3. Millennium Actress (2001)


2. Beauty and the Beast (1991)


1. Inside Out (2015)

No changes or surprises there LOL. My favourite film ever.

I have no high hopes for the sequel coming in 2024.





And that's all folks! Folks of all genders, I mean.

Enjoy your day, and your life. Live fully, calmly, and happily. Show compassion, care and love whenever and wherever you can, to yourself and others. Practice self-care.



No comments:

Post a Comment