Tuesday 31 August 2021

August 2021 Update

This month has been anything but summery.

Sorry, I'm miserable for personal reasons. Failure is crushing, a stab in the chest and stomach. I've been upset before, deprived before, but this is a whole new blow to my self-esteem. But remember that there are people, your family, who love and support you through the worst times.

Well, here's what I've watched and reread in August - my escape from reality, again:



Films:

The Matrix trilogy, bad animated sequels to bad animated films on Netflix (you know the ones, and I don't know why I watched them), Monty Python's Life of Brian (The Holy Grail is still my favourite), Help! I'm a Fish (surprisingly touching and deep, no pun intended), We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (yeah, no, that's a less good 2D animated classic), Jennifer's Body (a rewatch, and I appreciate it more now - we all owe Megan Fox [she's so good!] and Diablo Cody an apology), Mean Girls, Vivo (brilliant - Netflix bringing in the best, and it's Lin-Manuel Miranda, what are you waiting for!), The Little Prince (another great animated film on Netflix, and a fine adaptation), The Spy Who Dumped Me (hated it; what an unfunny, sexist, racist, xenophobic waste of time, and Mila Kunis looks so tired and fed up at this point, and I don't blame her one bit), Luca, Last Holiday (love it! Highly underrated), Speed Racer, A Knight's Tale (now there's an overrated and trite film that's not as funny as it thinks it is), Gladiator (ditto, except not funny, just boring), Khoobsurat (2014) (ehhhh...), and Bride Wars (its universal hate is justified. Kill it with fire.)



TV:

I am finished with Harley Quinn. On Netflix I watched Centaurworld (a new favourite, and I binged it in one night - what an adorable delight), Bridgerton (hmm, no; it's cute and witty, for the most part, and the male actors are gorgeous, but I really didn't like the ending of the season), and the first season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (one of the worst things I've ever seen, and the last nail in the coffin for me ever watching American comedy shows again, or any live action American shows; I now officially hate Tina Fey, and the number of racist jokes in every single episode should be a world record - only that's not an accomplishment, of course. What cheap, easy, lazy, stupid, infuriating bullshit.)


Book rereads:

Our Own Private Universe - Read review here.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Read review here.

The Female of the Species - Read review here.

I Love You So Mochi - Read review here.

The Count of Monte Cristo - Read review here.


I will try to stay positive, and look on the happy side of things, no matter how hard that is. But that's life, isn't it? You've got to move forward, and keep trying.

Stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment