Friday 24 July 2020

Graphic Novel Review - 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor Holiday Special: Time Out of Mind' by Jody Houser (Writer), Roberta Ingranata (Artist), Enrica Angiolini (Artist)

2022 EDIT: From my 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor, Vol. 1: A New Beginning' review:

Another series I won't be keeping. Not just because of my book clear-out, but because I want to distance myself from this franchise and its "fans" as much as possible. In my opinion, 'Doctor Who' isn't worth it. It's never been worth it.

I'm done.

I've never known a more toxic, culture-and-society-killing, and soul crushing fanbase as that of the sci-fi genre, except maybe the video games community.





Original Review:



A fun and supremely funny 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor' Christmas comic. Very quippy, witty, savvy and sweet.

It's not perfect, nor wholly satisfactory plot-wise, but it is easy to follow, which is a feat for a story involving altered memories (though how did the TARDIS get scrambled with as well?). And involving Santa's elves, toy soldiers, and Krampus (who is female in this version). The Thirteenth Doctor remains a wonderful character. And it's so lovely the way she refers to her companions as her "fam".

Gorgeous artwork, humour and message, this sci-fi holiday special is wholesome family entertainment. An enjoyable treat to put in anyone's stocking (or anywhere else for anyone who celebrates any holiday).

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment