Saturday 11 January 2020

January 2020 Update

This will be a slow reading year for me, and a year for rereads if possible. I don't mind - I'm happy to have lots more free time. Time for a social life.

So far I've seen 'Good Omens' and 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker'. Good things to start the year off, if books should fail.

Yes, I liked 'The Rise of Skywalker'. Rey is still awesome, and overall at worst I thought I would be underwhelmed by mediocrity, but I wasn't. Plus I'm content with nothing being perfect - for nothing can be perfect - as long as I enjoyed an experience. That real, functioning human beings could be brought to such apparent, murderous rage over films about space wizards is beyond me. Seriously, grow up and get a life. Take a deep breath and go outside once in a while. Not everything is about you and your nostalgia. Things are not bad just because they don't turn out exactly the way you want them to - that is entitlement, and unrealistic, and the filmmakers knew this. They defied expectations for the better, in my opinion. It never seems to occur to these toxic fanboys the irony that a series all about overcoming hatred and rage and clouded minds, should leave them with enough hatred to destroy worlds if they did have the Force. They represent the Sith equally to most governments. They dare to call themselves fans of 'Star Wars', when hatred feeds them and gives them worth.

Anything that is a million times better than the prequels is a stamp of approval in my book. But for now, I won't be involved with anything else 'Star Wars' related - I don't think there has ever been a more toxic and hate-filled fanbase (and coming from the science fiction genre, that is saying a galaxy-sized lot), and it terrifies me.

No comments:

Post a Comment