Saturday 17 August 2019

Book Review - 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' by Judi Barrett (Writer), Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



I love the movie, so I had to read this eventually. And I'm glad I did: 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' remains a hugely imaginative, clever, funny and, ahem, delicious fable for children. There are hilarious jokes, cute touches and Easter eggs (not literally, sadly) in the illustrations on each page that the prose doesn't tell you about. You might get hungry while reading it!

In the original book, 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' is about the town of Chewandswallow, where it rains and snows food every day, at every breakfast, lunch and dinner time, as told by a grandfather to his grandchildren. These children's picture books love grandparents and their bonds with the wide-eyed youth, don't they? As they should. Grandfathers and grandmothers are amazing; often wise, witty and loving. It's the age and experience. Appreciate them while you still can.

'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' misses a star because I'm not sure about the artwork in some places, and there isn't really a story in the traditional sense (it's more of a backstory, with a promise of a return), nor strong characterization. But it's fun and creative. A true bedtime story.

A pancake, potato, bread, hot dog, egg, spaghetti, jelly, and burger-filled joy. I can't recall there being any chocolate, or ice cream, or much dessert actually. But oh well.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment