Monday 15 July 2019

RWBY, She-Ra, and book review 2019 update

I can't believe that after all these years of calling myself a girl power fan and critic, I hadn't seen this series; barely gave it a glance. But I've finally viewed the massively popular webtoon, 'RWBY'.

What did I think? I enjoyed it at first. The girls are actually action-orientated and use physical force and weapons, and they don't transform or use a sparkly aesthetic like typical magical girls. The characters (their designs and personalities) and the action sequences are fantastic. Worthy of note: season three is definitely the best.

All ages can and should see 'RWBY', and others like it.

But like most long-running shows, it goes downhill from its peak. Or its beacon, as it were. It gets too complicated, too convoluted, with too many characters to keep track of, and worse, Ruby herself barely appears or does anything in her own show. When five seasons in and I still have no clue what the villains' motivations are, aside from the typical darkness and chaos rules misanthropy, then there is a problem (the main villain, Salem, is a complete nonentity, and I am not impressed by the others).

For these reasons, I don't think I will be continuing the series, once season six is uploaded on YouTube. It is a shame.

In other news: I've seen 'She Ra and the Princesses of Power' season two... apparently. It's only seven episodes long, and only a few of them are entertaining and relevant to the overarching story. Got to wait over twelve months for the third season for things to actually progress and reach a conclusion. Yey.

In other other news: I can't believe I'm saying this, and that it might have come to this; but I'm just not enjoying reading books as much as I used to. Too many disappointments and DNFs from this year and the last few have caused me to lose faith in the medium of novel lit. I'm not as quick as I used to be, and often I'm too busy with other stuff in my life to make time for reading. Only a few novels left are planned for this year, and then I'm done. For now. So expect less Artemis Crescent book reviews coming up from now on. I've started writing more negative reviews this year as well; summing up my current mood and how I just don't care anymore. I'll read and write what I want, whenever I want. No one is forcing me to do anything.

That's me and my opinions, given to you. I'm out. Have a good, moonlit night.

No comments:

Post a Comment