Sunday 27 August 2017

Saw 'Batman and Harley Quinn'. What did I think of it? Well, in the words of Harley herself at the end of the movie, "Well that was a big-ass bucket of nothing." Seriously, does every animated project from Bruce Timm have to have female characters existing sorely for sex appeal and fanservice? And have them be talked about in an objectifying manner by male characters, filled with unfunny innuendos? Or is it an unfortunate coincidence that virtually all of Timm's women are drawn and written like that? This film is nowhere near as bad as 'The Killing Joke', though that isn't a compliment. With 'Batman and Harley Quinn' I feel I want to sit it down and slap it around a few times demanding "what were you thinking?", whilst with 'The Killing Joke' I want to take it far, far away to the deepest, darkest part of the Antarctic so I can nuke it. Pointless scenes plus unnecessary swearing and sex plus adding nothing new or interesting for both old and new Harley Quinn fans equals a movie with no reason to exist. The end. But the animation is good. Whatever, I'm done with DC animated movies. For now.

In other news, I also happened to see 'Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Brain Drain'. Awful. Simply awful. Plot holes the size of the Phantom Zone, cringe-worthy dialogue out of something like the 'Barbie' movies, and is overall obnoxious and unfunny. 'Brain Drain' is an appropriate title. Could it really not be at least similar to the much higher quality of the other 'Lego' movies because it's a girls property? How did this happen in 2017?

I'm not having much luck here, am I? I guess I'm just so, so tired. The world is a terrible place where no one listens and no one learns from their mistakes; if aliens visited right now they would take this to be earth's ultimate message and motto: "If you're male and have enough money, you can get away with anything".

No comments:

Post a Comment