Monday, 25 May 2015

Non-Fiction Book Review - 'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon' by Jay Navok and Sushil K. Rudranath

2026 REREAD:

WELCOME TO SEPTEMBER MOON!

I admit this was a last minute addition, to cap off the month of 'Sailor Moon'.

'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon' is reading material that isn't manga, and it's an unauthorised indie book. But I reckoned it deserves a spot in September Moon - a short nonfiction book that can be read in one afternoon, containing interesting facts and details (as of the time of its publication in 2005) about not just 'Sailor Moon', but Naoko Takeuchi, and the country both she and her creation were born. It explores the various influences, mythologies, cultures and histories that helped make the most popular magical girl manga and the anime in the world what they are, during the '90s zeitgeist of Japan, and Tokyo.

Reading it today, over a decade since I last looked at it, 'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon', by Jay Navok and Sushil K. Rudranath, isn't that well put together or structured; how it leaps from one subject to another seems random, with little to no explanation and buildup. There are a few typos, and questionable "facts".

For example, at the beginning the author(s) states the 'Sailor Moon' manga came out in 1992, when everywhere else I've ever looked into cites it as 1991 (though it was published near the end of the year, on December 28th in 1991, so close enough, but still not accurate).

How simultaneously were 'Sailor V' and 'Sailor Moon' being published and serialised? I looked it up, and apparently Takeuchi-sensei started 'Sailor V' in 1991 as a one-shot, until she went on to develop and work on 'Sailor Moon', with 'Sailor V' coming back in serialisation, and ending in 1997, the same year 'Sailor Moon' ended. So it is accurate to call the latter the sequel and sister series to the former. This isn't explained well in the book.

No, Queen Serenity didn't choose to not obliterate Queen Metalia, which would also have consigned the souls of her daughter and everyone else who died in the war between Silver Millennium and Earth to oblivion, so instead she sealed away the evil, for a chance for her loved ones to be reborn on Earth sometime in the future. I don't know where the authors got that from (is it from the anime?), but I recently read the manga this month, and I can confidently make a correction: Queen Serenity didn't end Metalia because she was weakened, heartbroken and distraught over the loss of her daughter, Princess Serenity, and she hadn't the strength and willpower to use the Silver Crystal to destroy Metalia once and for all - she could only seal her away. (The Silver Crystal is barely mentioned in 'Warriors of Legend', which is utterly bizarre, as it's the most important and powerful MacGuffin in the 'Sailor Moon' universe).

In regards to explaining how Crystal Tokyo and the age of the new Silver Millennium on Earth came to be, the book talks about an atomic, nuclear blast, or natural disaster, that wiped out the surface of the Earth in the early 21st century, thus leading to Usagi/Sailor Moon awakening as Neo Queen Serenity, to resurrect Silver Millennium on her home planet, bring about Crystal Tokyo, and purify everything and everyone. This is how she becomes the queen of the world. Apparently. But I do not recall any of this being featured in the manga. Again, is this an anime-only detail I'd forgotten? I remember nothing about any natural catastrophes, atomic apocalypses or dystopian wastelands/hellholes in 'Sailor Moon', in any arc or side story, nor any connotation of an inspiring symbol of hope in the victory of a nuclear weapon-free Japan post-WWII; a Japan that will rise from the ashes, and build a new and better homeland every time.

While I'm on the subject of Crystal Tokyo and Neo Queen Serenity: the author(s) completely skip over how, early in her reign, the queen banished Wiseman, then a human criminal in Crystal Tokyo, to the ominous, taboo planet of Nemesis, and that's how Wiseman corrupted, cursed and became one with Nemesis overtime, over the centuries*.

The Four Heavenly Kings of the Dark Kingdom - Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite and Kunzite - did not steal the names of the Heavenly Kings of Japanese mythology, the Shitennō. They were not always evil. They were warriors under the command of King Endymion of prehistoric Earth, and they doubled in their duties as his protectors. Reborn on Earth in modern times like everyone else, they were lured and brainwashed by Queen Beryl and Queen Metalia into becoming minions of the Dark Kingdom, before they could "awaken" to their true destinies.

There is no mention of Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune being a romantic couple, despite how one two-pages-and-a-bit segment is spent discussing Haruka/Sailor Uranus's gender identity, or as the authors termed it, 'Gender Crisis?'.

Also, they keep referring to Rei/Sailor Mars as 'Rei Hino', when using her family name is really not necessary.

Having reread all of the 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon' and 'Codename: Sailor V' manga for September Moon, I understood the references made in 'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon' (along with pointing out its mistakes and inaccuracies, unfortunately, some of which I'm sure I missed). Less so the references to the anime. I need to rewatch that in the future, too.

Despite its flaws, how 'Warriors of Legend' talks about Japan, and its history and folklore, is very interesting, fascinating and educational. Or at least it makes you want to look up more information concerning the topics.

I adored learning - I should say relearning, since it's been over ten years since I first read 'Warriors of Legend' - about:

Naoko Takeuchi's life; the different Shinto shrines in Tokyo; Tokyo's real life location spots, studio buildings, shopping districts, schools, mansions, and attractions that're reflected in the 'Sailor Moon' manga and the anime; the traditional and modern Japanese family dynamics and livelihoods; the Japanese economy, capitalism and classism of the '90s (the book couldn't explain the mystery of how Mamoru is so rich, however); the insights into each Sailor Guardian's character and background; the main characters' lifestyles based on aspects of Japanese culture up to the '90s; 'The Deadly Poetics of the Sailor Soldiers'; Jikoshōkai (self-introduction, like before a battle with an enemy); Jisei (death/farewell poetry, like at the end of a battle); the tale of two Reis (manga Rei and anime Rei are different characters, and it is explained why that is); and a heck of a lot of info on Rei/Sailor Mars and Minako/Sailor Venus, and how the planet Venus is in fact more closely connected to the Earth's moon than we might think - astronomically and mythologically (hi, Ishtar!).

The facts and legends surrounding Venus are altogether meant to explain Mina's character; her power, role, and her outrageous, outgoing, unstoppable, determined, confident and boy crazy personality (wow do I like her better now than I did before), and her planet and goddess theme and aesthetic.

Most understated, yet no less important, is it's an in-universe sign of destiny between Minako and Usagi ('Venus Inside the Crescent Moon', 'Ishtar and Selene/Venus and Moon'), and why they resemble one another so, and are such good friends.

'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon' - it's rough, and not always accurate, but it's a nice little jumping-on point of research for fans of 'Sailor Moon', and Japan and its culture and history.

And it is here where September Moon comes to an end... kind of.

I have one more book inclusion for tomorrow, but it's a surprise treat, and not technically, directly related to 'Sailor Moon'. It won't be a reread and rereview - I already reviewed it this year. It'll be on my blogpost, with the review link, as a simple reminder of the magical girl series' impact on the world of pop culture.

But until that reveal, I leave you with this message:

On September Moon drawing to a close, on a self-published nonfiction, indie, info and reflection book, instead of a manga:

I had fun this month. I hope other people also enjoyed reading about me reexperiencing one of my most beloved, cherished, childhood classic franchises, in 2026. Perhaps they've learned some useful and heartfelt things along the way.

Let 'Sailor Moon' live on in our hearts and minds, forever.

Happy September Moon - for every moon, of every month, every year. Every millennium.

In the name of the Moon, let's not be sad to say goodbye, but smile (and go ahead and cry) that we got to meet at all. As warm, personal, light-and-hope-filled heavenly bodies - star seeds, with our own Sailor Crystals inside our chests, everchanging and shifting in the vast expanse of the universe, but always attracted to, and gravitating towards one another, as communities of stars. Unique, individual, and lovely stars, that are never alone.

Thank you, Naoko Takeuchi, for your beautiful, wonderful, astronomical, celestial, otherworldly, varied, inspirational, influential, timeless creation.

Final Score (for 'Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon'): 3.5/5

*Come to think of it, wouldn't Nemesis, as a celestial, planetary body in the cosmos, have its own Sailor Guardian? It is once described in the manga as "the tenth planet of the solar system", after all. Nemesis ought to be no more "taboo" than Saturn.





Original Review:



Such an enjoyable educational little read for any 'Sailor Moon' fan, and for people in the Western hemisphere interested in Japanese culture.

In 'Warriors of Legend', you learn how almost everything in the 'Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon' manga and anime reflects Japan in terms of its social, class, and education systems, as well as its historical and mythological references. 'Sailor Moon' mirrors the country in the 1990s when the franchise was being made and was at the peak of its phenomenal popularity; existing worldwide as well as in its remarkable place of origin. Information is given to the reader on just how hard life is for the average working-class Japanese person.

'Warriors of Legend' also provides details on how the anime differs from the manga and why, and shows examples of when 'Sailor Moon' criticises and satirises the “old” Japanese culture. (Its foibles in how it educates young students are worth discussing).

As a bonus the book presents character profiles and insights on why the Sailor Guardians' personalities befit their lifestyles and Sailor identities. Naoko Takeuchi is a hell of a lot cleverer than the surfaces of her work might suggest. She certainly did her homework, especially when referencing mythology from all over the world in ‘Sailor Moon’, from Greek to Roman to Babylonian.

It turns out that Sailor Venus and Sailor Moon are more closely linked than I ever realised before, and not just in looks. I like Sailor Venus a great deal more now.

I've learnt so much from reading 'Warriors of Legend', and it has achieved the impossible and made me love and appreciate 'Sailor Moon' more than I did before. Subtle is not a word most people would use to describe this Magical Girl series, but there you go. Takeuchi-sensei is a genius, no doubt about it.

‘Sailor Moon’ – just a silly Magical Girl show only worthy of looking back on through nostalgia glasses? I beg to differ, and beg anyone who thinks that to read this book.

At 144 pages, ‘Warriors of Legend’ is a little too short, and more could have been expounded upon. But that's a minor flaw in the long run. However, I wonder if an updated version will ever be in the works, in light of ‘Sailor Moon’ receiving renewed English-translated manga editions and an anime reboot.

The people of Japan are just as passionate and influenced by 'Sailor Moon' as Western audiences are. (Lots of children were actually traumatised by the season 1 finale when their favourite characters died onscreen; proving how great and powerful these fictional Sailor Senshi are individually written). So maybe anime and manga - and any form of entertainment - do have the power to bring people together; to make us kindred. There exists life and beauty in the creation of ‘Sailor Moon’.

In the name of the moon, read ‘Warriors of Legend’!

Final Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment