Tuesday 8 March 2022

Song of the Sea post

Since seeing and blogging about the still-scarcely-released Wolfwalkers, I've decided to talk about Song of the Sea, too.

I don't know why I didn't think much of it when I first watched it years ago; it truly is a wonderful and lovely film. The animation, the music, the story - it is all transcendent, touching and gorgeous. It's not just a fairy tale fantasy trail, it's a story about family and grief. Every character is fully realised. Weaving through Song of the Sea like silk is one of the best young sibling dynamics and relationship growth I've ever seen in a film.

Animation has power. It possesses its own magic, and Cartoon Saloon proves this. (Though I didn't like The Secret of Kells, and on a second viewing I still don't. Sorry. But the studio's other films are masterpieces.)

Plus, I love selkies!


See my post about Wolfwalkers here, and my post about The Breadwinner here.

No comments:

Post a Comment