Sunday 11 December 2022

Graphic Novel Review - 'Over My Dead Body' by Sweeney Boo

'Over My Dead Body'

I have been looking forward to getting my hands on this beautiful piece of graphic novel goodness for months. It sounded so right for me, it was like a miracle.

Now that I finally own a copy and have devoured it, I will start by saying:

The further I read on, towards its end, 'Over My Dead Body' is quite a confusing comic. There are some holes in its plotting, mystery, pacing, structure, characterisation, and panelling. A few points, elements, creatures and characters get forgotten about - a kind of first draft, first-ideas-put-in syndrome is evident. As are the obvious edits and surely-deleted scenes left on the cutting room floor. I still don't fully understand the title; without revealing any spoilers, it is an odd little thing to refer to and emphasise in the grand scheme of its own context. And is it meant to be defiant, or subversive, or ironic?

But on the other side of the wand, it is an emotional, heavy, heartfelt gothic mystery story about friendship and found family, set in a witches' world, within a witches' boarding school. Magic, spells, animal familiars, demons, ghosts, amulets, pendulums, herbs, lilies of the valley, are abound. There is horrific imagery, too - this comic is not for children.

The characters are also human, passionate, headstrong, likeable, memorable, distinct, and rather well developed, even with the ending that's like a hodgepodge quilt with tears in it. LBGTQA+ elements include a nonbinary main character, and a slow-building side biracial w/w romance - one of the positives about the ending, of which there are many, I assure you, despite its flaws, is the girls' kiss! It is the only explicit romance in the comic, to boot. Women and girls love, and LBGTQA+ love, are everywhere here, in different shades in the light and dark spectrum. There are POC characters - people who are important, respected, and never forgotten about.

As well as magic, there is genuine love, passion and hard work to be found in 'Over My Dead Body'. Its heart is in it. In the right place. Warts and all. And I can't fault it for that.

It's an updated 'The Worst Witch' and other stories like it. 'The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' also comes to mind. Its imperfections are almost charming. Regardless, it is an immersive, absorbing, exciting and spell-rific feminist, witch boarding school mystery graphic novel, which may or may not have a sequel planned. I probably won't bother to read it, but 'Over My Dead Body' on its own contains a substantial amount of things I love, and I am happy enough with it.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment