Saturday 12 November 2022

Graphic Novel Review - 'She-Hulk: Jen, Again' by Rainbow Rowell (Writer), Roge Antonio (Artist), Luca Maresca (Artist), Rico Renzi (Colourist)

A beautifully drawn and colourful new 'She-Hulk' comic.

What strikes me most is that while 'She-Hulk: Jen, Again' is less action based than I would have liked, and it's even less lawyer-and-courts based as well, not to mention it is a direct continuation of a recent Marvel story I know nothing about, to me it still flows well, and I could get into it, because of the characters. It is the character scenes and development that do it for me.

She-Hulk/Jen Walters is herself and is as awesome, funny and sassy as ever, with human vulnerability and needs, and with more heart, nuance and gravitas to her due to her experiences (she looks incredible to boot, no matter her form and who is drawing and colouring her). Even Jack of Hearts, who I'd never heard of before reading this comic, grew on me. In a single volume his characterisation managed to convince me that, whether he is being set up as Jen's new love interest (no#219 by my count) or is genuinely her platonic, kindred spirits friend, I'm okay with either option. Amazing, I know. He's handsome, has depth, has believable angst, he appears genuinely sweet and caring, and he spends a lot of time with Jen, as friends hanging out in different places - and eating different foods at different places! - and with her as his helper and saviour, trying to solve the mystery of what happened to him recently.

Jack cares deeply for her, as Shulkie and as mousy renewing (again) lawyer Jen. These gamma radiation machines and people work well together.

Other characters included are Titania (she's back! and is Shulkie's frenemy/fight club opponent now), Volcana (Titania's bestie - yep, she's not been forgotten about!), Mallory Book, Janet Van Dyne (who remains the best, shame she's only a cameo), Patsy Walker (nice, funny gal, but again, shame she's a cameo and doesn't do any superheroing, and is she dating Tony Stark?!), Spider-Woman has a nonspeaking two-page appearance, and then there's Awesome Andy, Ben Grimm, and Reed Richards. It's like a loving tribute to Dan Slott's run on She-Hulk from 2004.

'She-Hulk: Jen, Again' - short and sweet, containing lovely, human character moments between She-Hulk and Jack of Hearts. The volume does end abruptly, with no mysteries or cases solved yet, unfortunately. But I'll take what I can get with any solo 'She-Hulk' related entertainment at this point. Anything to scourge and expunge my memory of the MCU TV show (yeah, I really didn't like it).

'Jen, Again' is Jen again. The Jen I've come to know and love. She's an adult, and an experienced Marvel superhero, who has a big, strong heart to match her mind and muscles.

The strongest green babe in the universe (who is also independent, of her cousin and any other men in her life) is back!

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment