Thursday 18 November 2021

Graphic Novel Review - 'The Web of Black Widow (The Web of Black Widow #1-5)' by Jody Houser (Writer), Stephen Mooney (Artist)

My first 'Black Widow' comic.

'The Web of Black Widow' was one of the two only 'Black Widow' comics I could find locally - physically in shops - and it's one of the more recent titles (and the shortest, making it a reason for me to choose it over the second one, to play it safe for newbie me). So probably not the best starting point in getting to know the Russian superspy and assassin outside of the MCU.

I never really cared for Natasha Romanoff/Romanova before, because of how stoic, underdeveloped, underutilised, sidelined, uncared for, and just how much a part of the Smurfette Principle problem she is, and how sexist her portrayal is overall (she's a "monster" because she's infertile - what the fuck, Joss Whedon? Though I shouldn't be surprised that that's how his mind works, the hypocritical, fraudulent bastard and abuser, and one of the straight white male privilege parasites of our dire times). But I enjoyed her solo movie that came out this year - which everyone can agree is far overdue; see sexism in superhero movies and in marketing - and I only now wanted to try my hand at reading her Marvel comic titles. These go back decades.

But a comic book reader has got to start somewhere, and with 'The Web of Black Widow', if I simply go with the spiderweb silk flow and be impressed by how kickass, smart and complex Natasha is when she's allowed the spotlight, I can enjoy it as its own thing. Even if I don't know who certain characters are, and no explanation is given to help out inexperienced readers; not even a mini dossier is added in a narration box or something. And what's this about Natasha being hundreds of years old? And a clone? Are her memories blocked or not? Is it just some of her memories? Is this linked to a feature/theme of her being a mystery even to herself?

I guess I've become highly accustomed to the way superhero comics are, as these elements actually don't bother me enough to hinder my enjoyment of the story.

I mean really, at this point, who isn't a clone in Marvel comics?

'The Web of Black Widow' is a short, violent mystery spy thriller, where nothing is as it seems. Here, Black Widows bite and kill as well as plot and pounce.

Natasha Romanoff is not to be dismissed as some sexy spy cliché and femme fatale. She is not an object of the straight male fantasy. She has many, many unaccountable layers, and she is a force to be reckoned with. Her tragic past, her tragic present, her redemption arc, her extraordinary, almost unnatural skills, her determination, her love life (minimal compared to everything else about her), her trust issues, her warming up to her friends, including the Avengers - she is an even better James Bond.

I'm glad I finally gave Black Widow a chance. In comics, it seems like her potential is fully realised, no holds barred. Decades of development helps, but so does good writing, and legitimately really liking a female character.

I will continue to read more about this superheroine and antiheroine soon.

Final Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment