Saturday 31 July 2021

Graphic Novel Review - 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor, Vol. 3: Old Friends' by Jody Houser (Writer), Roberta Ingranata (Artist), Enrica Angiolini (Artist), Rachael Stott (Artist), Tracy Bailey (Artist)

2022 EDIT: From my 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor, Vol. 1: A New Beginning' review:

Another series I won't be keeping. Not just because of my book clear-out, but because I want to distance myself from this franchise and its "fans" as much as possible. In my opinion, 'Doctor Who' isn't worth it. It's never been worth it.

I'm done.

I've never known a more toxic, culture-and-society-killing, and soul crushing fanbase as that of the sci-fi genre, except maybe the video games community.

Final Score (for 'Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor, Vol. 3: Old Friends'): 4/5





Original Review:



Oh what fun! How cool is the Corsair? A pirate lady Time Lord - with her own pirate ship TARDIS! - who is the Doctor's frenemy and occasional partner in crime. Is it too much of a stretch to suggest that they might have that kind of history together as well?

'Old Friends' is a continuation of the first two 'The Thirteenth Doctor' comic volumes - despite its serialised nature, there are linked storylines. It's a fun and absolutely hilarious adventure (the three companions also get more highlights this time round). On the other side of the coin, it's notably nuanced and sad. It very briefly but effectively touches on the Doctor's past (and future), relating to being a Time Lord. There are references to unpack, but it can be enjoyed as its own 'Doctor Who' pocket adventure.

I adore the dialogue and banter; it's a match for the previous volume's scintillating and bubbling dialogue, too.

A funny and witty addition to the canon. Brill!

My other reviews: Volume 1 hereVolume 2 here, and the Holiday Special here.

Final Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment