Friday 30 April 2021

April 2021 Update

I've been back at work for a few weeks now. I'm getting the hang of retail again, and it's like I never left.

On the 26th there was an actual shooting in the local college of my town. While the gun shot only blanks, and the terrorist also carried a knife which he reportedly stabbed two teachers in the hands with, and no one was killed, it is scary as hell that something like that happened in my small English town. You'd have to squint very long and hard to find it on a map. It truly, honestly, never happens here. As if the pandemic wasn't enough for people to worry to death about. America is not a good influence on any country. I try, goodness knows I try, to look on the bright side and see whatever good is left in humanity, but...

Our Prince Phillip has also died, at age ninety-nine.

Work aside, at home I've watched the first three seasons of Elementary. I really don't think that long running live action series' are my thing. It's been a disaster on that interest front. Call it a critical failure on my part, I just don't have the time and patience to watch everything. I'm very picky. If I don't like something, I stop, period. I move on. I want to have as much of a life as possible, even when it's been put on hold.

I've also watched not one, not two, not three, not four, but seventeen Barbie movies. The only ones that I like enough to own on DVD are Barbie and the Secret DoorBarbie: Star Light AdventureBarbie and the Diamond Castle, and Barbie: Princess Charm School. I own seven Barbie films (the other three are The Nutcracker, The Magic of Pegasus, and The Three Musketeers) and I am not one bit embarrassed about it. I need some feminine, feminist kiddie escapism and kicks, and some of these flicks are pretty queer, FWI, if unintentionally. That's a good thing!

I finally got to see Promising Young Woman, and it is very good and you should go check it out if you haven't already. It is a revolutionary powerhouse. Speaking of long-awaited feministy films that never got to experience life at the cinema, I saw Raya and the Last Dragon on Amazon Prime, and really liked it (though I swear Disney is actively trying to erase any hint of queer subtext in their films at this point. Why do I keep giving them money? Why does anyone? Their overall behaviour has been appalling this past year).


Book rereads:

And Then There Were None - Read review here.

Misery - Read review here.

The Refrigerator Monologues - Read review here.


With additional news that my dad and my brother had quiet birthdays this month (just like last year), I shall leave off here. Continue to stay safe. Be careful. Be caring. Think of others. Try to be optimistic and hopeful. We all need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment