Wednesday 28 September 2016

Book Review - 'Princess Smartypants' by Babette Cole

2020 EDIT: I now have my own copy, and have read it again for the first time since my very first year of school.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about 'Princess Smartypants', but I am happy that the princess stayed single and happy in the end, either way. Very progressive for its time. Very colourful and cartoony fun, and a mad dash and mix of the modern and the medieval. The princess wears so many different items of clothing - including muddy overalls, riding breeches, a biker jacket, and a bikini! I don't think she wears a dress once, except when she's disco dancing! She does many things, and has so many hobbies. She watches television! Princess Smartypants is happy as she is, with all of her pets. She really doesn't need a man!

Smash that patriarchy!

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



I only started remembering 'Princess Smartypants' from my very young schooldays after reading a current princess picture book with similar themes, 'The Worst Princess'. Yeah, this was a lot of fun.

'Princess Smartypants' stars a badass rebellious princess who wears biker gear, actually rides a motorbike, does whatever she likes and is comfortable in her own skin, and owns many pets, mainly of the reptilian type. 'Princess Smartypants' is a crazy, twisty, genuinely funny parody; making me a bit more forgiving of its questionable message that for a woman to be a feminist and independent means hating men or just being alone forever. I'm sure the author didn't intend that to be the case, but still, you got to be thoughtful and careful in your execution of your morals, especially in a story for children.

Well, you could argue that Smartypants is happy with having her pets as companions, and she merely wishes to do what she wants without a patriarchal society dictating her choices.

'Princess Smartypants' made my day back at primary school, during read-aloud sessions with the teacher. A sharp yet goofy comedy with a hilarious female lead. A classic one-of-its-kind.

Final Score: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment