Thursday 15 August 2013

Book Review - 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

[In this case it's books that no longer fit my personal tastes, and are of such monstrous sizes and density I cannot see myself rereading them.]

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original (embarrassing and naïve and oh-goddess-it's-been-years) Review:



I could go on and on about the parts I loved in this book. I could pick out each aspect and theme, put them into segments, and tell of the reasons why I think they're great for the author's intended purpose. I could deconstruct the parts that disturbed and messed me up, and explain why they had such an emotional and intellectual impact on me. I could say that, as a whole, it somewhat changed the way I once viewed fiction - in that it's ballsy and definitely written for adults. That it has helped me to see the world in a new perspective. I could say that I remember all the Swedish names just fine because the plot and characters are so engaging that you go with the flow. I could say I loved the sincerity and passion behind this story; that it is one of the grittiest and most gripping mystery novels I've ever read.

But then I'd have to try to explain why. Why I enjoyed this book so much. And for one as multi-layered and complex as 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', that'd take all day.

So I'll just add in this immature praise:

Lisbeth Salander, I love you and I want to cosplay as you. But I'm too dirt poor.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Final Score: 5/5

(pst... my review of the sequel might be more detailed and professionally written than this one...)

No comments:

Post a Comment