Monday 19 August 2013

Book Review - 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens

2024 EDIT: Here I am, rereading 'A Christmas Carol' right after Christmas! But I'm glad to have managed to finish it in one night. Short as it is at barely a hundred pages (yet still dense, wordy and filler-ry, as is typical of Dickens), by the end I really felt the Christmas spirit. It truly is a timeless story.

Everything in my old review applies, from when I first read the novella, well over ten years ago.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



A quick but substantial Christmas story, filled with characters and magic that would become iconic in the hundreds of film and TV adaptations. I don't believe there has been a single bad adaptation of 'A Christmas Carol' - people love and respect it that much; perhaps much more than Charles Dickens's other books.

I can think of only one negative in the original source material; the writing. I got through it okay, mostly. But there are many uses of colons and commas, and over-descriptions that threaten to undermine Scrooge's presence in the story, even in a short book. But I connected to old Scrooge and his visits from the spirit of his doomed partner Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet To Come (Future).

In the end, 'A Christmas Carol' is a warm and festive read to cheer you up in the cold days of winter (being in England, I needed it). Really spooky as well. A great story that teaches us that you are never too old to redeem yourself and change.

God bless us, every one!

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment