Saturday 24 June 2023

Graphic Novel Review - 'DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test' by Hamish Steele

2023 EDIT: Part of my 2023 clear-up, of books I no longer like, or am no longer interested in, or remember well as standing out, or find as special anymore, or I otherwise will not miss.

Final Score: 3.5/5





Original Review:



I've wanted to read this ever since seeing and loving the TV series (though I've yet to see the second season, once I'm back on Netflix), and... wow.

'DeadEndia' has some similarities, with some of the same aesthetics, but it is mostly very different from the animated adaptation, 'Dead End: Paranormal Park'. One main thing to take away from the comic is that, unlike the TV show, it is definitely not for children. More "edginess" and darkness and horror aside, I certainly did not expect the iconic cartoon hero, the trans, gay Jewish boy Barney Guttman, to have family issues so bad that he was once... suicidal. I don't want to reveal anything potentially triggering, but holy shit his backstory is dark. The autistic icon Norma Khan being more cynical and having a tragic dead parent past, with an older sister, is also something I did not expect.

There were a hell of a lot of things that shocked me when coming into 'DeadEndia'. It is horror and comedy at its core. It embraces it; and all the while it flows, together with a creative, cartoony, colourful, eclectic, wild and wacky messiness - and I commend every daring thing it puts out there, and not just for its LBGTQ+, POC, neurodivergent and mental health rep.

So I do recommend 'DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test' if you're already a fan of 'Dead End: Paranormal Park'. Only make sure you're in a good, healthy headspace and safe space beforehand. You may be in for a shocking treat, deep and dark, but additionally funny in a gallows humour way, that is worth it in the end(ia). There is the undeniably strong - raw - human, relatable and emotional element to it, as well; it is intense all around. This undoubtably contributes to the lasting impact and development of Hamish Steele's genius creation.

Last, spoiler-free notes: Pauline Phoenix is a hilarious celebrity parody icon (I keep using that word in this review, don't I?), Pugsley the doggie is a cute and funny (and tragic) mascot, Badyah is such a sweet little psycho without a care in the world, and Courtney remains one of my favourite demons ever, alongside Calcifer from 'Howl's Moving Castle' and Hooty from 'The Owl House'. She/they is/are a precious, funny, adorable, spirited, creepy, complex and evil-ish concept. In fact, 'Dead Endia' does "evil", flawed, imperfect, messy, and/or morally grey characters right.

An awesome, scary, silly, humorous, magical, demonic, passionate, and truly revolutionary and inclusive comic and cartoon.

Final Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment