Thursday 27 April 2023

April 2023 Update

I have been very depressed for the last two months or so. That is part of the reason for my lack of posting recently. I've been processing things that have happened in my life; things I can't believe it's taken me so long to realise. I won't mention anything here, but it is traumatic. I am going to therapy, and hopefully this will pass, and I can move on. But whatever happens, whether I feel better sooner or later, I can't see myself continuing to blog after 2023. There's just not much to post. I'm pretty much burned out on nearly everything now. Maybe I'm finally growing up? I also want to stay as far away from social media as I can; so much toxicity and hate is not healthy. When online, I want to have fun and escape, that's all. Toxic fandoms, toxic creators, and toxic relationships of every kind should be averted and moved on from; they're not worth it in the long run, and you will come to regret engaging in and being a part of them; of having anything to do with them.

As of now, my final plans for blogging, and general online posting, in 2023 involve reading eight more graphic novels set to be published this year, and reading six novels. I still gravitate towards, and am soft on, the odd comic now and then, but I haven't enjoyed reading a whole prose book in ages - the last novel I legitimately, wholeheartedly liked was Legends & Lattes, and that was five months ago. Then there's Long Live the Pumpkin Queen six months ago, One Last Stop ten months ago, and Not My Problem fourteen months ago. That I might be slightly inclined to read some books that have recently caught my interest, despite too many disappointments, is this a sign that am I coming back? Am I getting better? We'll see.

I also plan to resubscribe to Netflix and Disney+ in June or July to watch some stuff. Like before, it will only be temporary. All these megacorporations we are giving our money to are dodgy as fuck, and incompetent, if not outright abusive, and they need to get their acts together and respect their paying customers.

And I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it: Fuck capitalism.

On a much needed positive note, happening in the present, I have now seen all of The Owl House. It is a great, wonderful, clever and highly emotional series. It might even be my favourite show of all time. It was made for me. I love it so much, and it makes me happy to see that so many other people do, too. This fandom is so positive and adoring. No toxicity in sight! Yes, one can't help but be saddened and wonder what could have been if Disney wasn't run by a complete and utter *%^*$! or two, but what we ended up with in the shortened finale is awesome nonetheless. As my love of Harry Potter has soured over the years due to its author being a terrible person, The Owl House has filled that void, in my love of fantasy franchises. And what I didn't get from Buffy (ditto its own toxic and abusive creator) I got from The Owl House. A fantastic, sensitive, and diverse and inclusive, animated fantasy series, made by a loving, passionate and dedicated crew - of passionate and worldly geeks and nerds! Remember: support creators, not companies. Companies, conglomerates, they have enough money, and fuck 'em in general. Dana Terrace's dislike of musicals still baffles me, though. As yet known she isn't a problematic person, at least.

Film news: I've seen the film adaptation of Matilda the Musical, and I love it. I haven't seen the stage musical, but I've listened to all the songs on YouTube, and I think both versions have worthy merit and credit. Aaaaannnd that's it on the film front from me, as of today.

Well, I've cheered up a little now. Depression and disheartenings aside, perhaps I remain a geek woman at heart. A bookworm at heart. These things, these parts on one's identity, just can't go away that simply. This year I've culled so many books - and manga and anime DVDs - but every so often I find myself adding more pop culture commemoratives to my room; to my collection. You bet I've already ordered The Owl House merch, unofficial so Disney won't receive a dime off of them!

One more personal list coming up, and that's it for this month. I'll be busy with real life important stuff next month, but I'll be reading a few upcoming graphic novels, too.

Wish me luck. And happy health.

Practice self care. Always.

Love everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment